Large Scale Soldier Fly Larvae farming for 'chicken/duck fodder'?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I saw this video and was sort of interested in it. It implies that large scale soldier fly larvae farming could be possible somehow.

I'm not sure how they do this. But the tray shoes its real. You can see they have a ton of their larvae there.

So how would someone set up something like this? In theory you'd need a tray of larvae per day to feed ducks or chickens with.

How do they do it? Is there a guide somewhere?

Well to clarify...there are some guides for small scale single bucket soldier fly stuff. I know that. But I don't know if it can be done on a big enough scale to support at least half of your poultry herd's diets? And how to set it up?

Here's the video link;

So I saw this video and was sort of interested in it. It implies that large scale soldier fly larvae farming could be possible somehow.

I'm not sure how they do this. But the tray shoes its real. You can see they have a ton of their larvae there.

So how would someone set up something like this? In theory you'd need a tray of larvae per day to feed ducks or chickens with.

How do they do it? Is there a guide somewhere?

Well to clarify...there are some guides for small scale single bucket soldier fly stuff. I know that. But I don't know if it can be done on a big enough scale to support at least half of your poultry herd's diets? And how to set it up?

Here's the video link;

The small scale operations involve native BSF populating your compost bin.

to do anything larger, you need to actually keep a breeding adult BSF cage and harvest eggs. Some people I have seen successfully do it in garages. BSF are a little difficult to breed initially as they react very specifically to wavelengths of light.

The small scale operations involve native BSF populating your compost bin.

to do anything larger, you need to actually keep a breeding adult BSF cage and harvest eggs. Some people I have seen successfully do it in garages. BSF are a little difficult to breed initially as they react very specifically to wavelengths of light.

Would projects like that still work in areas with cold winters?

Would projects like that still work in areas with cold winters?
I’m not speaking from any expert opinion, I just dabbled with BSF last year to see if it helped my fly population and did a lot of research.

I saw some discussion on this once, and you’d probably need to do something indoors. Some people simply overwinter their colony of larvae and hatch out breeder flies the next spring, as opposed to continuously farming year round. I’m pretty sure there is no breeding under 55 degrees, and, ideally it’s temps in the 80s for highest fertility.

In lab like settings they are now growing/farming BSF (Black Soldier Flies) / BSFL (BSF Larvae) for use in animal feed on a commercial scale. In that case they are being processed into what is often called insect meal, animal protein meal or protein meal from what I understand.

I have a small(ish) bin of them started but already I have thousands of them. If I let them mature then you get the most use out of them in terms of bioconversion of scraps/organic waste into useable source of protein, calcium and fat. Also you get the biggest bang for your buck since once they are mature they no longer feed, nor produce waste, so they are somewhat "shelf stable".

My bearded dragon won't touch them dried (or not moving - if they are cold for example) but loves them when they still move. I have had some that I fed in the past, and they grew, even though supposedly they were already mature pupae or pre-pupae. I found that he likes them much better that way than once they hit the pupae stage and become immobile as they prepare to hatch into flies. I have done lots of research on them over the last few years, since getting our bearded dragon, Hagrid. So this time, when I found I needed to place an order for them I found that for about twice cost I could purchased immature larvae at 10x the amount of BSFL than I would get if purchasing mature BSFL. I have had them almost 2 weeks. When these arrived I realized that by chance, I had been putting any hatched flies into a small container, I believe that at least some of the flies that emerged this winter mated and laid eggs. When I dug down into it to mix it when adding the ones that had been shipped to me I realized I had some "worms" in it already. I have been feeding them our kitchen scraps. It is an experiment in progress. Getting the feed ratio right, so they get enough air and is not too moist, so it stays in aerobic metabolic state has been a bit tricky, but so far I think they are all alive. Also because there is some odor, in part because I let them be too wet at first, I have been keeping them on our barely insulated enclosed porch. It has been quite cold (10-30F) recently here so with the cold I have been experimenting with ways to keep them warm enough to stay productive (and not go dormant) and trying to prevent them from dying along the way. This cold snap has made that harder. So far I think most have survived and some are undoubtedly getting ready to stop eating soon. I have been feeding them to Hagrid along the way - because I have so many (and because he loves when they are really wiggly). As I check on them, add feed, etc... I have gathered a few scoopfuls in a separate container to feed to him.

I know I have more than he will eat. So now I am trying to decide if I have enough to make it worthwhile to sell the excess BSFL.
20200608_104617.jpg
20200615_184617.jpg

I just responded to another thread about feed with my mealworm/soldier fly method:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-much-do-your-birds-eat.1441316/post-23924683

I have had soldier flies growing in the barn and my pens here, near Saint Louis, Missouri, since 2012. They do go dormant in cold weather, and I have not tried to keep them warm to avoid dormancy.

This substantially cuts my warm-weather feed bill.
That is pretty impressive! So you have them naturally in your area in the summer? I'm not sure if we do. I think generally it is too cold for them to survive here. For that reason I plan to keep mine as a more or less closed system so as to not introduce a non-native species. I already do the same with Dubia Roaches for our lizard.

I bet! That is why I now have 2 types of bins of "bugs" in my home, and a new hobby of entomology to go on top of hobby of being a novice reptile parent. I've wanted chickens awhile so I figured I may as well start researching in earnest if I ever hope to convince my husband to go in that direction. Since there are some similarities between reptiles and chickens that is a benefit too. I figure I already know some people locally with chickens so I can watch and learn from them too. In the mean time maybe I can be their local feed supplier if they decide to try BSFL for their flock.

Back
Top Bottom