1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

LARGE slow chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dougp23, May 17, 2011.

1. dougp23

dougp23 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    I only have 4 hens, two are Reds and two are some breed of black chickens. One of my blacks is quite large, I would say the others might be 8 or 10 pounds, but Betsy is I bet 13 or 14 pounds....(so say an extra 50% heavier than the other girls).

Betsy tends to be slow, she will stay in one place while the others wander all over. Betsy does move around the yard, only at a much more leisurely pace! If I throw birdseed at their feet, the other 3 attack it as if they are ravenous, Betsy stands there and looks at it. (If I throw bread at their feet, all hell breaks loose, including Betsy who will push and shove with the rest of them to get to it).

A few weeks ago Betsy was very lethargic, so I took her to the vet who diagnosed a bound crop. She seems to be over that now (no more funny neck moving going on), but she just seems off. Is it because she's just so big? I am just asking for opinions! Also, I leave food out at night in their coop, and maybe I shouldn't, because I often catch Betsy standing in the coop alone eating the feed....

Appreciate any ideas!

Last edited: May 17, 2011

2. YYZ

YYZ Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Welcome Doug
    I have no answers im sorry but please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by