large swelling under hen's oil gland

robertorange

Hatching
May 7, 2022
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and I'd like to ask question about one of our hens.
We first got our 4 hens in October 2020. There's a bluebell, a rhode island red, and two white ones but not sure of the breed (lay blue/green eggs)
We love having them around in our garden. We are in the UK.
I wanted to join because I saw some useful discussions in the forum, and wondered if anyone could help.

We just noticed that one white hen's feathers were sticking up just before her tail feathers as if there was a lump there (see photo).
So I had a look (see photo). There is a large swelling the size of a small egg under the skin, right underneath the preen/oil gland/uropygial gland (second photo). I didn't know about this gland until doing a search on your forum for possible causes. I squeezed and a little oil came out. There is a scab nearby, so I don't know whether she's been bitten or not recently. I tried putting a hot compress on briefly and squeezed, but perhaps didn't do it for long enough? She doesn't seem unwell at the moment, but we think she hasn't laid for a couple of days.
I'd welcome any suggestions for what it might be, and what to do please? Could it be an abscess separate from the gland, or an infected gland? Will it go away on its own?
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6857.JPG
    IMG_6857.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • fullsizeoutput_2e2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2e2.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 21
Hello, welcome to BYC. I'd continue using warm, moist compresses once or twice a day. Maybe apply some antibiotic ointment ( the kind without pain relievers) to it, after each compress.
Selenium is a nutrient that helps with the immune system, so I'd add a little scrambled egg to her diet for a few days.
I'd also check her over really well for lice.
@Eggcessive @azygous may offer better advice.
Good luck to you and your hen!

There is a large swelling the size of a small egg under the skin, right underneath the preen/oil gland/uropygial gland (second photo).

Does the oil gland itself look unusual? Or is is normal, just with a swelling nearby?

If you have other chickens, you can look at the oil gland of several of them to see what is usual and what is not. (I find that looking at healthy chickens works better than looking at pictures online, when I want to know what is "normal.")

Does the oil gland itself look unusual? Or is is normal, just with a swelling nearby?

If you have other chickens, you can look at the oil gland of several of them to see what is usual and what is not. (I find that looking at healthy chickens works better than looking at pictures online, when I want to know what is "normal.")
Thanks - yes, the large swelling underneath isn't present in the others

Back
Top Bottom