Ruptured Oil Gland

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello all! I'm posting here for a friend. She had an 8yr old hen that seems to have a ruptured oil gland. I'm meeting her tonight to help clean the wound. Is there anything I should look for/treat besides the basic cleaning? I was thinking of flushing with betadine and apply8ng some triple antibiotic and packing the wound with some gauze as well. Would Meloxicam be a good idea?

Here's what she emailed me:
"So Pashins oil gland burst, any thoughts?
I'm not sure what to do.
I had noticed it had been on the large side for some time, but thought it was normal. The tip is fine, the rupture is on the side.
There were chunks of the oil stuff all in that area and was really foul smelling, but I don't see an y infection. Now there's just a hole and can see right down into the gland.
It looked like the edges had been bleeding a very little bit and a scab had formed over it but that came off with the chunks.
Maybe the edges will heal and it will just be open like that? She doesn't act like she's in pain, she just doesn't use the gland to groom herself like normal though, which makes sense. Shes an 8 yr old and I'm surprised this is the only issue she's had yet!"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229-165932_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-165932_Gmail.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom