Large Whipworm found! Help!

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends!
Today after putting girls to bed I found what looks to be a large whipworm in one of my hens poops. It was about 3 inches long in thicker section and a thinner tail attached to it. It looks like a blister filled worm… ugh! My girls seem to be acting fine.. eating.. drinking… free ranging but now I’m concerned. I don’t know which hen but I do have Safeguard so I could treat both? Is that the recommendation? Does anyone know the dose? Pea sized amount but how often? Also, I’m concerned I have 10 week old pullets free ranging in same area.. is it contagious? For the record, I’m not sure it’s whipworm but I really think so after seeing images. I didn’t take a pic but cut it in half and clear liquid came out of it… help please!

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Is that the same for the paste?
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
I could have sworn I was told a while back for a different hen.. pea sized amount just one time..?

Ok thank you so much. And just to confirm I give it to them 5 days in a row? I assume I cannot treat my 10 week old pullets? No one acting strange but they share the same yard…

Yes. 5 days.

It would be good to get photos of what you saw.

10wks olds, you could dose if that's what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom