Larger area for chicks?

mrkep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Richwood , Ohio
We have 24 Buckeye chicks that are 1 week old today. They are twice as big as when we got them. We currently have them in a box that is 50" X 20". That box is inside an enclosure that I made by splitting and putting together 2 watermelon boxes, it is roughly 8' dia. and 2' tall. Should we let the chicks into the larger area? If yes, should we leave the smaller box there with the end cut out as a coop area for them? I am concerned that if in the larger area, they wouldn't find their way back to the heat lamp. Also, would they use a roost if I put one under the heat?
We were working in the garden this AM and found a bunch of small worms, took them to the chicks, and what a riot! 23 chicks all chasing the one that was brave enough to pick up a worm.
50843_chicken_005.jpg

They'll find their way, don't force them out of their spot, and keep an eye that everyone is eating and drinking and they'll be fine.

I'd say you might as well open it up, if they venture into the bigger part they will find their way back to the heat lamp. We got our chicks when they were about a week and a half old and we put them right in their coop area in our barn with the heat lamp in the corner. Not sure on exact measurements but I'd say the coop is at least 8x10 feet and they all stayed huddled in their warm corner for the first couple weeks. I don't know if they would roost yet or not...?? We didn't put a roost in our barn until they were about 8 weeks old, before that they loved roosting on the hay bail and feed box!!

I put a little limb from a tree in the backyard in the brooder, just barely off the floor when mine were 1 week old. Some used it to roost on, but just about all played on it. I put my babies outside in the tractor when they were 9 days old; they're 5 weeks old today and doing great! You can see the limb/perch in this picture:
55921_008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom