Larsons - New Members

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by larson, Jun 22, 2019.

1. larson

larson Hatching

Jun 22, 2019
    Hello everyone !
    We acquired 8 chicks May 2 & 4, as first time chick parents. I've always wanted pet chickens, and hubby gave some to me for my May 1st birthday. Then our 5 year old granddaughter wanted some, and hubby picked out a Flavorelle chick.
    My first four were 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Gold Sex Links. Granddaughter picked a French Black Copper Marans, a Swedish Flower, and a Rhode Island Red. They are a great flock.
    Hubby is a carpenter and built the coop and run. We still have yet to add the nesting boxes.
    We live on a one acre lot in a subdivision just outside a small city limit.

We are all in love with our girls. Their interactions, verbal and physical actions, watching as each one grows, each unique personality, are fascinating. We have lawn chairs, table, mosquito torches, drink holders, just outside the run and enjoy watching them.
    Since they first came to us, we have taken weekly photo shoots to track the changes and growth.

We were surprised how clean they are, how much they look out for one another, what role each plays in the 'pecking order', which is still a bit in flux, and the acuity of the vision and hearing.

The internet lead us to some excellent information from a few homestead farms with serious and necessary information, which has been invaluable. Every time i have a question, it is great to have these references, and BackYard Chickens was one that we kept returning to, so we decided to join this e-community.

Now we are concerned about the summer weather. We live along the Gulf Coast and experience extremely hot humid days, severe thunderstorms, and the occasional disastrous hurricane.

How to we protect the flock from the elements ?

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 10 others like this.
  2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 8 others like this.
  3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 7 others like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 5 others like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    SHADE, shade, shade and more shade - natural or man made, misting hoses, freeze gallon containers of water and put out for chickens. They can stand next to them to cool off. Shallow containers of water for them to stand in. Cool feet = cool birds. Cool treats like watermelon.

6. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Larson great to have you joins would love photos of the coop and all, hardware cloth is the only wire predators cannot reach through

7. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 4 others like this.
  8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Find a large container that you can make large blocks of ice with. Put the ice blocks in a large shallow tote or small kiddie pool in a constantly shady area and let it melt. The chickens will sip the water as is melts and wade in it. I also cut up fruit into small pieces, freeze it and feed that to the chickens at the peak heat of the day.

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 3 others like this.
  9. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :frow Nice to have you here!

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 3 others like this.
  10. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

rjohns39, Leahs Coop, N F C and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: