Larva in my freshly milked milk?

No larva yesterday that I could find. They are either very tiny or because they are white so hard to find. Today I will use a contrasting color cloth. I'll try with that today and a strainer. Pure goat milk should be able to strain without leaving anything behind.

No larva yesterday that I could find. They are either very tiny or because they are white so hard to find. Today I will use a contrasting color cloth. I'll try with that today and a strainer. Pure goat milk should be able to strain without leaving anything behind.
Personally, I would be very concerned about the larva. I can guarantee they are not coming out of the goat's udder. They are breeding somewhere in the milk handling equipment and that is a health and sanitation issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.

The udder can have little bits and strings the aren't alive but are from bruises, bacteria, or late milking.
If that's the case I can walk you through a home mastitis test.

The udder can have little bits and strings the aren't alive but are from bruises, bacteria, or late milking.
If that's the case I can walk you through a home mastitis test.
That is true. By the way mastitis milk often tastes salty. However, maybe I misread the post, but I think in the original post the OP said those lumps were wiggling.

Since you appear to live in Florida too, these look a lot like Vinegar Fly larvae to me (very small fruit flies). They hatch out and reproduce EXTREMELY quickly and the timelines given make perfect sense that they were laid in the two-day window of nonuse and hatched (they hatch into maggots 24 hrs after being laid). I strongly suggest different storage methods. These flies can survive more heat and cold than most other insects (they will survive being cooked in a microwave and will also survive life in your fridge). If there's no way of storing the equipment where they can't reach them, then also clean before each use, and not just after.

Also based on your photos it looks like you store the cleaned equipment in your kitchen/near your sink. These are the preferred locations for Vinegar Flies to hang out and reproduce (they seek out any moisture for their eggs), the sink drain is especially their favorite right after the trash can. I guarantee they laid the eggs while your equipment was hanging to dry (still moist and attractive to momma fly), hatched out during nonuse, and got flushed out with the milk.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Thank you for all your help!
after checking, thoroughly cleaning and checking the tubing before milking, you are all correct that said the Larva wasn’t coming from the udder! Phew!!! And they are those horrendous busy budy larvae’s that hatch in days and they’ve been a pest around the kitchen. Even when the tubing was clean, brushed and drained, with no food deposits, they were still laying eggs inside? Anyway working in getting rid of them. Thank you all so much!

after checking, thoroughly cleaning and checking the tubing before milking, you are all correct that said the Larva wasn’t coming from the udder! Phew!!! And they are those horrendous busy budy larvae’s that hatch in days and they’ve been a pest around the kitchen. Even when the tubing was clean, brushed and drained, with no food deposits, they were still laying eggs inside? Anyway working in getting rid of them. Thank you all so much!
Ugh the dreaded fruit/vinegar fly. They are awful and hard to get rid of. Make sure you toss any sponges (I only wash dishes with rags and wash them when I'm done). Pour bleach down your drains (they love laying eggs in there). Don't leave fruit or veggies out if you can help it. I also have a ton of success with the little clear sticky pads you stick on your window for flies. They work great for house flies and the little tiny buggers. Especially if you have a window above your sink.

I have never had the problem you have with critters laying eggs in my milking equipment, but I always ran water and a sanitizer through the machine and pipeline just before each milking. Of course I also drained it.

Looks like worms, there a medicine you can buy that is a liquid, you can order it online and it has the instructions on it.
I’m not experienced with breeding but I’ve studied goats, I only have a young doeling that can’t be bred without getting injured and a wether

Looks like worms, there a medicine you can buy that is a liquid, you can order it online and it has the instructions on it.
I’m not experienced with breeding but I’ve studied goats, I only have a young doeling that can’t be bred without getting injured and a wether
Parasitic worms live in the gut, not the udder. They may look like worms but they are not. They are larvae and medications for intestinal worms won't help a bit.

Back
Top Bottom