Lash egg?

lavenderforluck

Songster
Jun 11, 2018
Richmond, VA
Hi there, we have a 11 month old Splash Maran hen who laid what I believe to be a lash egg based on research (see images). She is otherwise healthy and has shown no other symptoms of illness, though I realize they hide it well. She free ranges and eats H and H layer feed supplemented with meal worms and fresh greens and fruit as snacks. Upon noticing what we think is a lash egg, I immediately ordered Bayril 10% and it is on its way in case she needs treated with antibotics. First, do you think it is a lash egg? If not, what else could it be? Next, I see the general recommendation is Baytril in water for 5 days - do folks here agree with that? If she has salpingitis, and laid a lash egg, is this always fatal? And is this contagious to our other girls? Last, we had a young rooster who we had put down and a necropsy performed after developing legg paralysis - the necropsy indicated undetermined, possibly Marek's but not confirmed. Could this be related and a bacterial infection all the birds have? Or does Marek's cause lash eggs? A lot of questions here, I understand there might not be answer's to all of them, but wanting to make sure our flock is healthy and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_4210.jpg
    IMG_4210.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4211.jpg
    IMG_4211.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 21
That looks like a combination of lash egg material and egg membrane. I haven’t seen that before, but lash eggs may look like that early on. Has she been laying eggs recently? Salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct is the cause of lash eggs. Sometimes bacteria such as MG, e.Coli, and others can be the cause of salpingitis.

Baytril (enrofloxacin) has a bad taste. Most people say not to give it in water, but give it orally. Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound or 0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days. Toss her eggs for the next 3 weeks, if she is laying.

That looks like a combination of lash egg material and egg membrane. I haven’t seen that before, but lash eggs may look like that early on. Has she been laying eggs recently? Salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct is the cause of lash eggs. Sometimes bacteria such as MG, e.Coli, and others can be the cause of salpingitis.

Baytril (enrofloxacin) has a bad taste. Most people say not to give it in water, but give it orally. Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound or 0.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days. Toss her eggs for the next 3 weeks, if she is laying.
I really appreciate your reply, thank you! She hasn't been laying much recently, we did have a normal looking egg from her about a week ago - but it is cold and gets dark early so we attributed it to that. Is that dosage for the Baytril 10% we ordered ? It should arrive in the next day or two. If we start it right when it arrives, I'm hoping we caught it early enough. Some folks said once there is a lash egg it's gotten really bad and antibiotics might not work, I hope that isn't the case!

You can buy a 1 ml needle-less syringe for giving small doses at Walmart or other pharmacies. They gave me 2 free ones.
Thank you! We have a few sterile ones from the vet that we can use luckily, but that is so great to know about Walmart if we run out. I'm a little worried about getting it administered, she isn't going to be happy about it, but she is sweet and will hopefully forget about it after the 5 days! Again, I really appreciate your help, feels like we're less alone in dealing with it!

Back
Top Bottom