Lash Egg??

Glad to hear that. Less eggs less chance for complications.
Not necessarily true. Healthy bird lay eggs...it's what they do.
If a bird stops laying it usually means something serious is wrong. Infection or laying internally are both likely.

You mentioned you feed scratch daily.
I HIGHLY recommend stopping that today and only offering a tiny amount once a week instead. By tiny I mean no more than a small spoon full per bird.

Offering treats like that daily takes away from the bird getting a balanced/complete diet which is one of the top reasons infections can set in.

Not necessarily true. Healthy bird lay eggs...it's what they do.
If a bird stops laying it usually means something serious is wrong. Infection or laying internally are both likely.

You mentioned you feed scratch daily.
I HIGHLY recommend stopping that today and only offering a tiny amount once a week instead. By tiny I mean no more than a small spoon full per bird.

Offering treats like that daily takes away from the bird getting a balanced/complete diet which is one of the top reasons infections can set in.
Really? I had no idea diet contributed so much to higher chance for infections. They currently get small amounts now, but sounds like it’s best to stop daily. 👍Thank you for the advice, sounds like we will be adjusting our treat rations asap.

Really? I had no idea diet contributed so much to higher chance for infections. They currently get small amounts now, but sounds like it’s best to stop daily. 👍Thank you for the advice, sounds like we will be adjusting our treat rations asap.
Diet contributes to overweightness.
Overweightness ITSELF contributes to the ease of infection.

Overweightness in a chicken is such a small amount one wouldn't even notice with out feeling a bird and knowing what they were feeling.

On average a full grown chicken should eat about 3/4 cups worth of crumbled or pelleted feed per day.

The following is just an example to give you an idea of how much a bird should eat.

If you are feeding 1/2 cup worth of scratch or mealworms then they won't have enough "room" to eat the balanced complete feed that contains all of the nutrition they need.

If they are eating too much of the junk foods/treats each day which are high in fat guess what happens?

Overweightness in a chicken is such a small amount one wouldn't even notice with out feeling a bird and knowing what they were feeling.

On average a full grown chicken should eat about 3/4 cups worth of crumbled or pelleted feed per day.

The following is just an example to give you an idea of how much a bird should eat.

If you are feeding 1/2 cup worth of scratch or mealworms then they won't have enough "room" to eat the balanced complete feed that contains all of the nutrition they need.

If they are eating too much of the junk foods/treats each day which are high in fat guess what happens?
You’re right, I probably wouldn’t know a fat chicken from a healthy weight one. Good lesson on feeding and overweight chickens 😌 my chickens are gonna hate me when I don’t throw out scratch tomorrow haha.

Back
Top Bottom