Last 3 days in incubator for newbie

I hope the goose eggs humidity isn't too high ugh I have worked very hard on this for 25 days for it to go south.

I am hatching Coturnix quail. I started the incubation process on March 30th at about 8pm. According to my calculation today is day 17 with day 18 starting at 8pm(is that right)?? I currently have no wobbling eggs and no pips. When should I begin to worry? this is my first hatch so it is sort of stressful.

Thanks,

FarmerJonBrown

I am hatching Coturnix quail. I started the incubation process on March 30th at about 8pm. According to my calculation today is day 17 with day 18 starting at 8pm(is that right)?? I currently have no wobbling eggs and no pips. When should I begin to worry? this is my first hatch so it is sort of stressful.

Thanks,

FarmerJonBrown
If you set the March 30th at 8pm then day 18 STARTS April 17th at 8pm. You do not count the day you set the eggs. You start counting day 1 -24 hours after the eggs have started incubation. Usually you start seeing pips a day before hatch day, sometimes not until hatch day. There are occasions of earlier or later. I wouldn't get too worried until hatch day has come and gone, then it could still be a matter of a slight delay. You don't always see wobbling before the pips. I seldom see egg movement before pips. FYI-it's not just the first one that is stressfull.
wink.png

Good luck!!!

I agree, lockdown is torture. I never saw wobbling and was freaked out but mine have done great and I think it went pretty well considering I set them for almost 11 days but I followed all of the directions I found and it worked. Proud mommy here.

Now I have to go work on Egbert, he still has dried membrane, mostly on his head and his head feels like he is wearing a helmet, even after I cleaned it with water so I am going to have to try dawn dish soap.

This I is my first try on incubatin & heard my first peep last night. I saw where a tiny piece of shell had been broken through,And the occasional peep. EGG-CITING! Today is day 21 and the little peeps are coming more frequently and is at about 1/2 way through the shell. I'm so nervous.
1f601.png
I have 18 eggs in the bater that I gathered from my own hens to do a practice run on before I started on the pre need

Pure breed eggs. I am unable to tell if any of the rest of the eggs are starting to pip. Waiting patiently (sort of) to see if the others start. Hope I have more than just one!

Ok thanks. Little Egbert has been out of his egg almost 24 hours but he is the only one not fluffy, he looks kind of matted so maybe he had membrane dry on him. Should I leave him in the incubator longer?

Leaving him in the incubator isn't going to fluff him up if he has dried membrane around/on him. You can use a wet cloth with warm water (a little dawn blue dish detergent won't hurt, but i'd do just the water first) and rub him up. You can blow dry him after or put him under the brooder light.

Does it HAVE to be the blue Dawn? I have the orange one.

First chick is out. Has a couple Of small pieces of shell stuck to it. Maybe they will come off as she dries. (Using she in hopes that is what she is.
1f60a.png
)

She seems to have some membrane on her too, also what looks like a very very thin string of yellow. I can see inside the eggshell and it is not completely clean inside. Don't know what it is. New momma here. LOL. Nervous, anxious and don't want to do our not do anything that would cause me to lose my very first chick!

Back
Top Bottom