Last couple questions about fermenting

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
I have read up on and studied like crazy fermenting my feed for my 2 chickens and 2 ducks. They go through so much! Plus I like the health benefits.

But I have a couple last minute questions that I can't seem to get answered in my research because I get mixed readings on a munch of different websites.

I am not putting a starter in it. I am going to let it start itself

• But... do you place a lid on it? In the photos of the one website there was a tight sealed lid but then in the description it was talked about how you leave it open or throw a cloth on top of it so bugs don't get inside of it.
  • I am afraid it will go bad and I wont know. Is the smell from sourdough/ferment strongly different than an alcohol smell/mold smell? I don't want to make my birds sick on accident so this is the only thing I am scared about!
  • Can you keep it outside? We get in the high 90s - 100s in the summer and 30s-20s in the winter. It would be kept in a shed so the temps would be warmer in both seasons.

I used fermented feed since last October until June when I took a break. When I make it I only use about an ounce or 2 of apple cider vinegar one time in a 5 gallon bucket half filled with feed (flock riser, chick feed, layer, whole grains, whatever you choose. When you make it soupy, you can dip the fermented liquid off the top to start another batch. After it ferments for 3 days of stirring and keeping a little extra water on top, it is ready. I recommend 70-73 degrees which works perfect in most homes. I use a 5 gal. bucket lid laid loosely on top so a little air can get in. You can't leave it open and you can cover it air tight, so that is why some cover it with a towel instead of the lid or the poke holes in the lid and snap it on tight. Animals will get into it in a shed, and summer heat is too hot, winter cold will freeze it solid. If you stir it 2-3 times a day, and keep it a little wet on top, it won't go bad. If you have doubts, dump it out, but it should smell like beer, pickles, or kraut.

Back
Top Bottom