Last Day of School - Plans for peafowl this summer

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Today was my last day as a senior in High School. I am really excited for the summer as I will hopefully have some peachicks hatch out, I plan on visiting a few peafowl breeders, maybe selling a few peafowl for the first time, figuring out who to free-range, and just spending time with the peafowl. I need to try and get this girl from school named Kayla over to see my peafowl. She is obsessed with peafowl just like me but she doesn't have any or have the room for some. She says I am "Living her dream" and she really wants to see my peafowl so I need to find a day for her to come see them. Maybe in the future she will be getting some from me!

Anyways today I got out of school very early so I just sat in the peafowl pen and watched the peafowl and thought about how I will be able to work with them more now that I am out of school for the summer. The yearling white peacock started displaying and Peep was displaying too and it was fun to see them display side by side. I was thinking a bit about what they would look like free-ranging and I was thinking about all the qualities everyone has that would be benificial for free-ranging. I am also excited about the possible chance that maybe over the summer I will get a new pen. I know I keep talking about a new pen for my birds and it hasn't happened yet. My dad is still busy working on that pond, which is another exciting thing going on. Hopefully the eggs in the incubator will all hatch out. I promissed a few of my friends that they could name some of the peachicks I get this year and I am interested to see what they name them. Oh and the other day I greased the lower part of the perches just incase if raccoons break into the pen this year the poles will be impossible to climb. I do NOT want another peafowl to be killed. The only cause of death they better have is from old age!

Well I guess that is about all I wanted to say...
hu.gif

I hope everyone has a succesful summer building pens, hatching peachicks, and buying more peafowl!

-Alea :)

Last edited:
I'm about overworked from pen building Minxfox,,I don't have your enthusiasm but I still need 2 more pens done soon,,,my first incubated eggs started to hatch last week,,and now beginning tomorrow and thereon about every 3-4 days I will have 8-10 that will come due to hatch out.I keep eggs collected for about 2-3 days,then only incubate a few,mainly all my charcoals,silver b/s pieds and purple pieds.
I have to allot myself more time each night to collect eggs and feed them all because I find myself watching what they do,how they interact with each other,as well as try to gain the trust of some of the new birds bought and who are now residing in Pea Palace.Over 30 of my breeding aged birds I hatched 2 years ago,and the 16 others I bought this spring.They are fun to watch but I find myself spending a lot more time with my pens that have older males in them with full trains this year.My Midnight B/S male has to rank up there as one of the most colorful of them all,,but my new Silver B/S pied male from Bigcreekpoultry is now taking more of my observation time.These new pics may justify why it's so easy to stop and spend extra time there each night. What do you think?

Congratulations on finishing schooll -- and good luck with your future plans, both peacock & otherwise!!

If my two eggs hatch I may be asking for help from you & your friends for good names for them, as I am not good w/names at all!

Those coons are absolute devil's hellions - so are possums - all we can do is the best we can to try & protect our peafowl.

I'm about overworked from pen building Minxfox,,I don't have your enthusiasm but I still need 2 more pens done soon,,,my first incubated eggs started to hatch last week,,and now beginning tomorrow and thereon about every 3-4 days I will have 8-10 that will come due to hatch out.I keep eggs collected for about 2-3 days,then only incubate a few,mainly all my charcoals,silver b/s pieds and purple pieds.
I have to allot myself more time each night to collect eggs and feed them all because I find myself watching what they do,how they interact with each other,as well as try to gain the trust of some of the new birds bought and who are now residing in Pea Palace.Over 30 of my breeding aged birds I hatched 2 years ago,and the 16 others I bought this spring.They are fun to watch but I find myself spending a lot more time with my pens that have older males in them with full trains this year.My Midnight B/S male has to rank up there as one of the most colorful of them all,,but my new Silver B/S pied male from Bigcreekpoultry is now taking more of my observation time.These new pics may justify why it's so easy to stop and spend extra time there each night. What do you think?
WOW!!! they are gorgeous!!!!

Congratulations MinxFox and all the best wishes for your future. With your outlook I'm sure you will be great at whatever you decide to do. Thanks for being here and all the great advice you give.

MinxFox, big congrats on your graduation! With all your enthusiasm and talent, you will succeed at anything you do. Your posts are always so interesting and you observe many things that we overlook (or have forgotten). Your posts are refreshing. Hope you get to visit a few breeders and see new colors! Wish you could come to the UPA convention in Indiana this September. Their farm is exceptional and we always have a great time.

I would be watching that silver B/S male a lot too! I agree about needing more time to watch them! My parents always tell me how they can feed my peafowl faster then I can and how I take such a long time feeding them. Really what happens is I get caught up watching them as I feed that I stay out there longer then I thought I would. Also Peep insists on getting attention every time I visit him so I have to spend a lot of time petting him too...Then if Alto starts displaying I am definately going to stay to watch. The only time I ever find myself getting boored watching them is when it is hot out and they all go lie around in the shade and fall asleep. Then I might leave but other then that it is fun to watch them. The more you have funner it is to watch. With 10 peafowl in a pen there is always something going on.

Quote:
Congratulations on finishing schooll -- and good luck with your future plans, both peacock & otherwise!!

If my two eggs hatch I may be asking for help from you & your friends for good names for them, as I am not good w/names at all!

Those coons are absolute devil's hellions - so are possums - all we can do is the best we can to try & protect our peafowl.
Thanks yeah we could give you some names! My friend Kacy has named all of her cats after pokemon characters. It is pretty funny.

Quote:
Congratulations MinxFox and all the best wishes for your future. With your outlook I'm sure you will be great at whatever you decide to do. Thanks for being here and all the great advice you give.
Thanks so much!
MinxFox, big congrats on your graduation! With all your enthusiasm and talent, you will succeed at anything you do. Your posts are always so interesting and you observe many things that we overlook (or have forgotten). Your posts are refreshing. Hope you get to visit a few breeders and see new colors! Wish you could come to the UPA convention in Indiana this September. Their farm is exceptional and we always have a great time.
Thanks featherhead! I have talked to my parents about the convention and I might be able to go to this one. I am still not sure though so we will see. I am definately freaking out about wanting to go to a convention.

Back
Top Bottom