Last few days: Rocking like crazy!!!! Humidity and temperature??

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by emududecalvin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. emududecalvin

emududecalvin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Okay, so my two emu eggs are rocking a ton. I have the humidity at 65% and the temp at 98. Are these the correcct numbers? btw, i have a gqf 1200 incubator.

I also need some names!
    Thanks,
    Calvin

2. ES Emus

ES Emus Chillin' With My Peeps

to me, the temp is a little high, drop it a few degrees to 96-96.5

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

emu don't need high humidity at hatch.. they don't pip and zip like a chicken would.. they just break the shell which usually breaks off in big pieces. So for emu there is no "lockdown" .. once the egg sounds you just stop turning it

and I agree with ES.. the temp is a little high but I have hatched emus at 98 degrees.. now I prefer to go lower in temp since that results in healthier chicks.. but it also increases the incubation time.

4. emududecalvin

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks guys. I'll drop the temp a little and the humidity to about 65%

5. yinepu

I would just remove all water from the incubator.. I incubated all my emu eggs DRY..
    Have you been monitoring the weight throughout incubation? Hopefully it lost enough weight to give you a healthy chick

6. emududecalvin

Dec 15, 2012
    I have not tracked the weight. My great aunt is the one with a bunch of emus and she gave me the eggs, and she never tracked the weight and she just told me not to worry about it. they do feel lighter than when I first got them though.

7. Calla

Calla Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    England UK
    I agree, never weigh them regularly, just 1st when collecting and incubate..... maybe ...4 weeks later, with Emu eggs, if they are fertile..they hatch lol
    Calla

8. yinepu

You can run into a lot of problems with ratite eggs (as well as other eggs) if the egg loses too much moisture/weight or too little.
    Eggs that lose to little weight can cause problems with the chick being bloated (so they can not turn and break the shell on their own) or drowning in the shell
    Eggs that lose too much weight end up with dehydrated chicks that either do not have enough strength to hatch on their own or have issues after hatch which leads to an early death.

So by monitoring weight loss you can make corrections to the humidity to help ensure strong healthy chicks or alert you to problems so you can be prepared to deal with them accordingly

Also eggs that are more porous will lose weight faster as will eggs that are too close to the fan in forced air incubators.

9. Raptor65

Raptor65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    It's really not very hard to manage the humidity for the eggs. First hatch I did, I had the humidity too low for the first 3 weeks, to remedy this I added extra containers of water to bring the weight of the eggs up to where they needed to be.

[​IMG]

So you can see in the last three weeks I struck a balance in the weight loss after some trial and error. Just keep a record of your egg weights and you'll be fine, don't depend on a hygrometer for anything more than consistency, mine read 55% humidity in the last three weeks but I know this to be wrong. So long as the temperature holds true and the weight loss is in the right range you'll get your bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by