Last minute ideas for a Mock retirement party???

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
anyone? here is what I'm doing so far...

to make a VERY long story short...

1. Hubby has worked for Walgreens as an Asst. Mgr for 13 yrs.
2. 10 of those yrs were third shift, 7 days on, 7 days off, missing almost every Birthdays/anniversaries/christmas/T-giving/Easter etc..
3. Walgreens decided about 6 yrs ago, that only ppl with degrees could hold his position or higher.
4. They "grandfathered" him in, since he had no degree and had already worked that position for all those yrs.
5. A couple months ago, they decided to do away with his position and replace with a "team leader"
6. He can take a team leader position and 25% paycut...OR keep his position until they terminate him as they
implement the team leaders..once they implement the team leaders, his job is officially eliminated. (gee thanks Wags!)
7. They spent HUNDREDS of thousands of $ in lawyers to make sure NO ONE who didnt take the paycut or be terminated/quit, would get unemployment...so no loophole (we've checked)...
8. Brian decided he wanted to go out on HIS terms..so Tuesday, June 5th is his last day..

SOOOO...good things:

1. We run a home based business ( www.toysgoroundonline.com ) and a featured merchant on amazon for years now...
I run it close to FT, he works in it barely part time...
2. He has ALWAYS wanted to work the biz FT
3. He will be working FT along w/me now on it FT...

SOOOO..since we are making such a HUGE transition...we really feel God is leading us this way...I am throwing him a "mock" retirement party...just to show him his family/church family is behind him/I in this endeavor!

So here is what I have planned (with the help of his Boss! LOL)

1. Walgreens themed (he's gonna kill me lol)
2. Everyone has to end their statements with "Be Well" (thats walgreens push right now...grrr)
3. I have walgreens giveaways, everything has their name/logo on it lol (frisbees, foam trucks, first aid kits, pedometers, cups, keyrings w/flashlights, chip clips)
4. I have "I got armed with my flu shot at walgreens" stickers lol..
5. I have a walgreens tablecloth to use on the "Prescription" table...
6. The RX table (So should have thought this one out more...bad idea..but I'm doing it..already bought it all)...I have pharmacy medicine bottles (all cleaned out)...prescription BLANK labels so they can write their name on it to put on their bottle..
----We have clear containers w/diff. kinds of small candies: m&M's, skittles, gummy bears, cherry sours, jelly beans etc..so they can make their own "prescription"...
7. I have made a "giant" prescription bottle with a slit on the top; I purchased some fake script pads and have all the adults fill one out with something uplifting etc on it..so when we have a bad day etc..feel like we can't do this..he/I can take a look at it and remember all these people who are praying for us!!

I have a large tent (thanks to a family friend) to put up in the a/m, its supposed to be 76 and cloudy...
I did have water stuff for the kids to do, but at 76..too cool...
so I have inflatable balls, swingset, putting up the badminton net for the older kids...

ALSO...his mom is going to wear an elvis wig & glasses..he DESPISES Elvis...cause every Christmas season..they play his Christmas songs and he can't stand it..he was sooo excited telling me he wont have to hear "Blue Christmas" anymore..but his momma is going to sing it lol...

Anyway...does anyone have any simple ideas to do more???

Some people are bringing "gag" gifts or oddball walgreens items...

I found a "Stretchy Buck" at the $1 store...kinda funny cause we'll be stretching our "dollar" in the months to come..
we also found a "Million dollar" chocolate bar...so we got that too...at the $1 store..

someone got him a flingin' chicken game...

I have absolutely no ideas to contribute --- other than some kind of 'photo op' set-up where you can take pics of husband and guests with, maybe a giant Walgreens sign -- maybe a 'clearance' one???

I have found that taking pics of everybody being silly at this kind of party is a great 'ice-breaker' and then I get prints to share with everybody ---
fun to add 'captions' to pictures ---

So Walgreens paid lawyers so noone can get unemployment? Or am i understanding that wrong??

Yes, you have that COMPLETELY RIGHT...

they paid the lawyers to make sure there were no loopholes in their offer of a demoted position/less pay and/or a temp position while they replace him...
(and others...HUNDREDS of ppl are losing their job..I know of at least 17 just in the district hubby works at now...that we know of...)...

so they wont lose millions of $$ in unemployment etc...Walgreens is a MULTI BILLION dollar per quarter business..with ZERO debt...the reason
they open so many stores each year..is to avoid penalties by the IRS etc ...once the last "walgreen" family member was out of charge...the business plan
has really changed for the worse..it USED to be family oriented..not anymore..its about money and figures..

Yes, you have that COMPLETELY RIGHT...

they paid the lawyers to make sure there were no loopholes in their offer of a demoted position/less pay and/or a temp position while they replace him...
(and others...HUNDREDS of ppl are losing their job..I know of at least 17 just in the district hubby works at now...that we know of...)...

so they wont lose millions of $$ in unemployment etc...Walgreens is a MULTI BILLION dollar per quarter business..with ZERO debt...the reason
they open so many stores each year..is to avoid penalties by the IRS etc ...once the last "walgreen" family member was out of charge...the business plan
has really changed for the worse..it USED to be family oriented..not anymore..its about money and figures..

This makes me sick! I wont buy from them again! Grimey creeps..
So he wont have unemployment? Son of a witch... so he cant collect and go to school then?
13 years and they give him nothing? wow...

Last edited:
I'd stay and work and hurt my back lifting something...slip and fall... something... :oops:
Can he change his mind and say he'll stay and take the pay cut? Just for now....

Last edited:
Wait. Unemployment benefits should have nothing to do with him leaving the job!!! Sorry to distract from the flavor of your thread, but that is just WRONG.I had an employer do that to me way back when I was WAY dumber than I am now about employment law. Your Brian should get the benefits he pays into.

Wait.  Unemployment benefits should have nothing to do with him leaving the job!!!  Sorry to distract from the flavor of your thread, but that is just WRONG.I had an employer do that to me way back when I was WAY dumber than I am now about employment law.  Your Brian should get the benefits he pays into.

I agree... i am disgusted by this company!
I think they can say they dont have to pay him unemployment because he refused the "other" (lower paying) job they offered him. If you refuse a job they can deny you unemployment benefits..
Bunch of BS if you ask me.. :/
He can fight it... but he probably wont win because they did offer him a job...
Sneaky turds...

Back
Top Bottom