Last night's visitor

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wsmoak, Jun 22, 2011.

1. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Went out to close up the chicken coop, and EEEK! Found half of this guy extending out from under the coop. This is after he saw one of the cats and rearranged himself to look scary:

[​IMG]
    110621_5445 by wsmoak, on Flickr

He had several lumps so I checked under my broody hen to make sure he hadn't gotten any of her eggs. Nope, he's probably full of toads. He was under the coop looking up through the wire, and hadn't figured out how to get in the door yet.

-Wendy

2. Tangeygirl

Tangeygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! [​IMG]

3. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    [​IMG] Yikes! What kind of snake is that?

4. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    What kind? No rattle, so that's good for humans right?

5. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Just cause it doesn't have rattles, doesn't mean anything!!! I'm no expert and have no idea what kind this is but we have tons of snakes around here that don't have rattles that are still very venomous!!!

6. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:Thank Goodness he hasn't figured out how to get in the coop, he could cause a lot of damage fast!! Yikes!!!!
    That would make me scream like a girl and squeal like a pig all the way back inside. I would need a large gun and a body guard before I would go back outside.[​IMG]

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    YYYYYUUUUUCCCCKKKK. I know some people like snakes. I know they are good for eating rodents. But I hate snakes. I am petrified of them. Glad it did not get anything in your coop. And glad you did not get bit.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are braver than I am, no way would I stand there and take photos. I'd still be running.

9. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    you girls [​IMG]

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    ThatÂ’s a Grey Rat Snake, A/K/A, Chicken Snake, I caught one in my nest box the other day, and it had an egg 3/4ths swallowed. They are harmless to grown chickens; they could easily eat young chicks and eggs. I re-located mine across the road; it has not found his way home yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by