Late bloomer or different breed???

Enginerd

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2021
We got our hens in early May 2021 and 5 of them developed as expected and started laying. One of my black Australorps isn't maturing as I would expect. Their comb is still black-ish red. I am pretty sure it is a female black Australorp, but it seems strange that she hasn't matured yet. Is she a late bloomer? Do they tend to mature this late?
Could I have misgendered it? Could we have the wrong breed?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_154328533.jpg
    IMG_20211103_154328533.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211103_154657538.jpg
    IMG_20211103_154657538.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 1
We got our hens in early May 2021 and 5 of them developed as expected and started laying. One of my black Australorps isn't maturing as I would expect. Their comb is still black-ish red. I am pretty sure it is a female black Australorp, but it seems strange that she hasn't matured yet. Is she a late bloomer? Do they tend to mature this late?
Could I have misgendered it? Could we have the wrong breed?

Thank you!
Pullet. Just later to mature than the others. She may not lay until after winter (if the daylight hours are decreasing in your area).

Thank you! I was pretty sure on the gender but all of her "sisters" have matured! Glad to hear she could mature after winter, daylight is already starting to leave us here in MN!

Thank you! I was pretty sure on the gender but all of her "sisters" have matured! Glad to hear she could mature after winter, daylight is already starting to leave us here in MN!
She is technically mature, just hasn't started laying yet. Chickens tend to not lay if not given enough daylight hours. Some young pullets that have just started laying lay through winter, but some do not.

Back
Top Bottom