LATE CHICK PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlife01, Aug 7, 2013.

1. chickenlife01

chickenlife01 Out Of The Brooder

Ok so I believe in leaving the incubator running for a few days after a hatch is due just to give everyone a chance. This time I had only 1 chick hatch and he was screaming so i left the bator running hopeful. On about the 25th day I had a little Americauna chick hatch! He's adorable! But after he'd fluffed up I realized to my horror that he can't walk. I know I should have killed him right then and there... but this other chick is screaming! So I leave him and promise that I'll kill him in the morning of he's not better... well it's been 3 days... He is still holding on, but he's weak. He keeps his eyes closed and only hobbles around. I can't get him to eat.... I tried spoon-feeding him a vitamin water to hopefully give him some strength. How do I feed this little guy? Is there anything I can do. Note: he does stand up sometimes but honestly he is so weak it's only for a short amount of time and he doesn't take normal steps... more like hops. I don't want this little chickie to die... I've grown attached now. PLEASE HELP any way you can! Another note: when I try to spoon-feed him liquids he looks like he's choking... :(

2. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hmmm I have never hatched chicks - in fact I have my first ones in the incubator right now so I'm anxiously awaiting the coming week. It can stand and hobble so thats a start. Perhaps because he is able to stand but not walk properly it is an issue with the surface its self. Is it still in the incubator? Is the incubator like a mesh? If so that could be the reason. The mesh may be either too warm or harsh for its little feet. Could you try putting down a sheet of card or something to let it try on that?

3. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Im not sure but with the spoon feeding ....i had a hen that i had the give her a liquid medicine and what i did to make sure she didnt choke was put it in her mouth exactly when she started breathing out that way they wont choke /breathe it in
    Hope the poor chicky lives :'(

4. chickenlife01

He is not any better... no one is helping. This poor little chick is gonna die. I have no clue what to do. He just sleeps all day.

5. chickenlife01

He is on pine shavings. The very fine for ones.

6. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I have never hatched chicks, but maybe try putting food in your hand? My chicks will take it from my hand before a spoon or something else for some reason.
    There is this stuff called "Save-A-Chick" that they sell at tractor supply or other similar store. Super cheap. Perhaps try that?
    Otherwise, it sounds like you care about him and are doing everything you can. Just hold him and comfort him so he is warm and hope for the best. There is only so much you can do in these situations. Good luck! Keep us updated!

7. GardenDave

Aug 5, 2013
    Well its four days now so I don't think the sharpness of the bedding would be the issue on its feet. The fact that it was so late to hatch would suggest that the issues now are those same development issues. It might just be taking a while to learn how to walk, or even to have the will to want to learn. If it doesn't want to learn how to walk it has no reason to try. Keep taking it to the food and water. Give it opportunity to eat and drink for its self, then move it back a short distance from that food and water so that if it wants more it has to make its own way there. It needs to use its legs for it to be able to strengthen them. This will happen slowly over a few days by the sounds of things. However, if it refuses to eat and drink anything and refuses to try and walk you may have to put it out of its discomfort [​IMG]

8. chickenlife01

Great news! I noticed him picking at the rag I was using to hold him (for poop and whatnot) and so i jumped up and grabbed some chick food. He pecked at it! This is the first time he has done this... he ate 3 tiny pieces that I know of then refused any more. But I am happy with anything... I hold his beak into sugar/vitamin water and he'll drink but not on his own... I have to dip his beak first. I really do hope that he is just a late starter and that he will make it through this. I broke down earlier because just looking at him makes me so sad. I know I should kill him but I just have hope that he'll make it. Usually they don't last this long in this condition (from experience) but this chick is definitely different. Is there some sort of liquid other than the vitamin stuff that I could be giving him? Like a liquid diet since that's pretty much all he'll take at this point.

9. lavender pekins

lavender pekins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Try using a syringe filled with mashed up chick feed squirting it slowly down his throat the tiniest bit at a time! This is what i do!

Good luck!

James

1 person likes this.
  10. GardenDave

Aug 5, 2013
    I don't know if this is true or not but a guy on the allotments told me that you should get a chick and dip its head in the water, and this way it knows where to go for water. I have no idea if that would work because in my mind I'm thinking that just because a chick is wet doesn't mean it'll know its to drink. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it if it'll save the chicks life.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by