Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by MadamPoofyBrow, Feb 5, 2016.

1. This is my first time

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. Two

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Three

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Four or five

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Five to ten

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Ten to twenty

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. Twenty to fifty

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Fifty or more

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Purpletie3

Purpletie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Just thinking out loud...Could you practice with different sized water dishes with marbles in it? If you did grooves you could put some hardware cloth over it so they would not drowned. I would be concerned saran wrap may cut off too much oxygen and melt. I think there are some cooler bators on this site.

2. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I gave them 12 hours fat side up! Hopefully goes better than the last set...

3. butterfliesdoku

butterfliesdoku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Day 19 is about to start for me in 1 hour! This is my first time ever having successfully incubated until lockdown so I'm super nervous!

4. stargzr87

stargzr87 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I have my first welsh harlequin eggs in now! On day 10 and they all have veining and movement.
    Love the light colored shells on their eggs, you can see them growing so well.
    The kids are having a blast with it.

1 person likes this.
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    I drove 4 hrs to see UGLYFOOT. She gave me... bottom row, barnyard mix...
    upper left 4 with red lines Ayam Cemani, Blue eggs are legbars, small tan are serama eggs. She got 13 grey eggers or as we call them... "Greyslyn" and 5 LO mixes...

6. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    We've had them hatching for the last hour now. 10 are out and 3 more almost out. Looks like I'm not getting a lot of sleep tonight.

These quail are so tiny but their legs are surprisingly strong. Some of them have popped out incredibly quickly. I woke my 17 year old daughter up at 12:15 to see them pip and again at 4:15 to see them hatch. I figure it's worth her being tired at school today to see this.

1 person likes this.
  7. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    That should be just fine!

Congrats!!! Now get your sleep because you are going to be up for a very long time!

Those are beautiful eggs...Well worth a 4 hour drive. I bring back eggs 1400 miles sometimes from my favorite silkie breeder.

1 person likes this.
  8. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    I did my incubator check yesterday and candled. I am on day 10 tonight. There were some that I thought were not developing but have really clear veining now. I was fighting some low temps though...-25 one day and my incubator was telling me it that the room was too cold. So, up went the thermostat 10 more degrees.

I need to set some more today so, I may toss the clears too. I brought home 12 speckled sussex from my sisters farm a couple states away. Nice dual purpose bird. Well, the flock needs fed so gotta run. Happy hatching to you all!

9. littlesmos

littlesmos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    Sigel, IL
    [​IMG]
    Fertility wasn't as good as I has hoped for but still have quite a few to put into lockdown Friday. 25 of 46. Not my best fertility rate but some of the hens had just started laying again so that might have had something to do with it.

10. k5crew

k5crew Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Kingsland, Texas
    [​IMG]
    What a way to wake up this morning!!! So far only 1 out of 12 eggs. This is our first time and 3 of these I am really hopeful for!!! 7 more under a mama in the coop!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by