Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Chick #2, the one that hatched late this afternoon, is sporting a stylish pair of curled toes paddles :D

I swear, if you had asked me 20 years ago if I'd be up at 11pm putting shoes on a chicken.....

5 chickies are out.

2 more pipped. Of those one is malpositioned.

We're supposed to be pure welsummer eggs. But all that have hatched are pure black.

Talked to the gentleman I was hatching for. He said there was a barred rooster that he was keeping in there. But that he was gone a couple weeks before he started collecting eggs.

Guess he didn't wait long enough. And that rooster was a powerhouse. As he was in with 3 welsummer roosters.

5 chickies are out.

2 more pipped. Of those one is malpositioned.

We're supposed to be pure welsummer eggs. But all that have hatched are pure black.

Talked to the gentleman I was hatching for. He said there was a barred rooster that he was keeping in there. But that he was gone a couple weeks before he started collecting eggs.

Guess he didn't wait long enough. And that rooster was a powerhouse. As he was in with 3 welsummer roosters.

Congrats on the five out and the two pips! Curiously, what malposition is the one?

-Kathy

Sorry this didn't work for you this time...

What kind of an incubator set up are you using? Sometimes, it is a matter of learning the in's and outs of your specific incubator for your climate. Double check that the temps are correct and the humidity can be read accurate. It may be something as simple as a bad thermometer that is throwing off your hatch. There are plugs that need to come out in some incubators at hatch for air.

I am on my third incubator. I started with a hovabator, then went to a brinsea mini then to a cabinet. Hovabator was difficult because I was hatching in an old drafty farmhouse with a pellet stove and a wood stove. Major issues with keeping it stable and humid. I found humidity to be my worst issue. I tried dry hatching...I tried hatching at the humidity my breeders were suggesting...I tried at the levels other BYC members were at...difficult. My hatches went from 5% to maybe 80% with a lot of trial and error. Of course, I can't be sure my child and dogs weren't bumping into it too!

Mini was great...much more foolproof than the styrobator. I did control for the drafts and moved it into a area that was dark and not near windows. (The cabinet is completely foolproof- except when my boyfriend is on watch and crimps down the humidity pump tubes in the door...he means well!)
Using a Janoel 12 incubator. The instruction manual that came with it sucks big time but One of BYC members wrote better instructions on one of the threads here. I'm beginning to wonder if the fact the Janoel only has one vent may have something to do with the problem. I might drill a small hole thru the plastic to allow cross ventilation.. Can always cover if too much. We know I've tried to control all other factors. I plan to keep trying. You will see me again around here. I do appreciate all the advice.

Sorry this didn't work for you this time...

What kind of an incubator set up are you using? Sometimes, it is a matter of learning the in's and outs of your specific incubator for your climate. Double check that the  temps are correct and the humidity can be read accurate.  It may be something as simple as a bad thermometer that is throwing off your hatch.  There are plugs that need to come out in some incubators at hatch for air. 

I am on my third incubator. I started with a hovabator, then went to a brinsea mini then to a cabinet. Hovabator was difficult because I was hatching in an old drafty farmhouse with a pellet stove and a wood stove. Major issues with keeping it stable and humid. I found humidity to be my worst issue. I tried dry hatching...I tried hatching at the humidity my breeders were suggesting...I tried at the levels other BYC members were at...difficult.  My hatches went from 5% to maybe 80% with a lot of trial and error. Of course, I can't be sure my child and dogs weren't bumping into it too!

Mini was great...much more foolproof than the styrobator. I did control for the drafts and moved it into a area that was dark and not near windows. (The cabinet is completely foolproof- except when my boyfriend is on watch and crimps down the humidity pump tubes in the door...he means well!)

Using a Janoel 12 incubator.  The instruction manual that came with it sucks big time but One of BYC members wrote better instructions on one of the threads here.  I'm beginning to wonder if the fact the Janoel only has one vent may have something to do with the problem.  I might drill a small hole thru the plastic to allow cross ventilation..  Can always cover if too much.  We know I've tried to control all other factors.  I plan to keep trying.  You will see me again around here.  I do appreciate all the advice.

Good article on the Co2 and incubation:
[ATTACHMENT=751]breedtip.pdf (25k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Using a Janoel 12 incubator. The instruction manual that came with it sucks big time but One of BYC members wrote better instructions on one of the threads here. I'm beginning to wonder if the fact the Janoel only has one vent may have something to do with the problem. I might drill a small hole thru the plastic to allow cross ventilation.. Can always cover if too much. We know I've tried to control all other factors. I plan to keep trying. You will see me again around here. I do appreciate all the advice.
I wish I had more for you to figure this out~ Round 3!

Back
Top Bottom