mict1g2

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Two bantam sisters have been sharing a clutch. Now they have two babies a few days old and abandoned the rest of the eggs. Took this eggs to the incubator and now we have one chick so far. Tried to introduce it to the hens and idk maybe because the chick is a completely diff color from the other two but the hens attacked the chick. I saved it and it seems ok. Was it maybe not dark night enough? Different color chick from the first two? Idk what to do? I’m kinda happy that they’re being protective of their babies considering we have other chickens but now this little guy is all alone. Should I try again?
102DDCC0-3E8C-449D-A2AB-DFC6ED0B6060.jpeg

I've never brought a late chick to a mama hen that was already off the nest and had it successfully accepted. Sorry that I'm not much help there. But I'd raise him in a temporary brooder. Hopefully one of the others will hatch in a little while to be with him. If no more hatch maybe bring a chick in to be with him.

You can always integrate them into the flock later when they're several weeks old. Set them up in a wire enclosure close to where the flock will congregate like near food or water. I did this with mine during the day every day for a week before releasing them to be together.

I've never brought a late chick to a mama hen that was already off the nest and had it successfully accepted. Sorry that I'm not much help there. But I'd raise him in a temporary brooder. Hopefully one of the others will hatch in a little while to be with him. If no more hatch maybe bring a chick in to be with him.

You can always integrate them into the flock later when they're several weeks old. Set them up in a wire enclosure close to where the flock will congregate like near food or water. I did this with mine during the day every day for a week before releasing them to be together.
It’s ok. He’s got two little siblings down there that I could go ahead and bring up so he’s not alone but I’m hesitant to take them from the first time Moms. They both got a little worked up when we tried to introduce him and it definitely seemed like they were protecting their babies so I’d hate to do anything to upset my girls. We’ve got 4 kids down there separated right now that I hatched in the incu, waiting to be introduced into the flock so what I might do is just go ahead and get a few more babies for him to grow with. Sounds like a good excuse to get more chickens lol. But seriously I’m really wishing I didn’t have to. Hens raided chicks are so much easier. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom