Late layer?

3 ring circus

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2023
I have one Easter Egger in my flock. She is 29 weeks old. Her little pea comb is red, but she has not starting squatting or displaying any other signs that she is ready to lay. Would be curious to see if anyone else had an Easter Egger that was really, really late to lay her first egg, and at what age did they finally start. She is perfectly healthy, just apparently in no rush to drop that first egg.

My EE is at 33 weeks currently, zero signs of starting to lay. I’m so impatient waiting for a pretty green or blue colored egg! Her flockmate started to lay but has now quit due to the daylight hours.
I know the feeling. She is the only Easter Egger out of that particular flock and everyone else has been laying for about a month now.

I got an EE same age shows absolutely 0 sign of laying when my others laid 1+ month ago same age. Not even with supplemental lighting, shell lay when she lays ig

I got an EE same age shows absolutely 0 sign of laying when my others laid 1+ month ago same age. Not even with supplemental lighting, shell lay when she lays ig
She is my very first experience with an Easter Egger. It is also my first flock that have reached maturity at this particular time of year. But at least now I know that other people are experiencing the same thing with their Easter Eggers.

I have a somewhat similar situation. I have three pullets (Easter Egger, Speckled Sussex & Buff Orpington) hatched this May, so now about 30 weeks old. The Easter Egger started laying (somewhat small, blueish green) eggs on 29 September (age about 20 weeks), but then quit in late November after producing a total of 40. The Orpington is showing a few signs of starting to lay but not the Sussex.
My experience with spring-hatched pullets from "good winter layer" breeds (See here.) is that they can start laying anytime in the fall or winter at ages ranging from 22 through 35 weeks.
Just to make things even weirder, my other Easter Egger (Hatched May 2019,
so 4 1/2 years old), started laying (big) eggs last week (early December). (That was after (somewhat irregularly) laying from February through mid-September of this year, then stopping for 10 weeks while moulting.) Checking my records, that hen had first started laying on 12 Jan 2020 at age about 35 weeks.

Last edited:
I have a somewhat similar situation. I have three pullets (Easter Egger, Speckled Sussex & Buff Orpington) hatched this May, so now about 30 weeks old. The Easter Egger started laying (somewhat small, blueish green) eggs on 29 September (age about 20 weeks), but then quit in late November after producing a total of 40. The Orpington is showing a few signs of starting to lay but not the Sussex.
My experience with spring-hatched pullets from "good winter layer" breeds (See here.) is that they can start laying anytime in the fall or winter at ages ranging from 18 through 36 weeks.
Just to make things even weirder, my other Easter Egger (Hatched May 2019, so 4 1/2 years old), started laying (big) eggs last week (early December). Checking my records, that hen had started laying on 12 Jan 2020 at age about 35 weeks.
Wow

Back
Top Bottom