Latest Eglu thread, how are they holding up?

mrsbos

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Greenacres, WA
I wanted to start a new Eglu thread since it seems as if all the previous threads were over a year old, and many hadn't had their Eglus very long/during a winter season. I purchased an Eglu Go (the small one for only 3 hens) 3 months ago. I have 3 EEs who are 2 1/2 months old now and the coop has been working out great so far. I agree that it does seem small for all day confinement, but I let my girls free-range my large fenced yard all day and I only lock them up if I leave the house, and then at night. I purchased an Eglu for a couple of reasons (yes the price was pretty steep): I live in an upscale suburban neighborhood where zoning does not allow for chickens, and I wanted the coop to be discreet--it kind of looks like a dog house. The other main reason that I went for plastic over wood, is that I'm terribly afraid of wasps (never been stung and don't ever want to be) and I could just see paper wasps flocking to a wooden coop to build their nests on, or just chewing up the wood to carry back to their nests. I've noticed that wasps just seem to love wooden things. So far, my chickens don't seem to like eating wasps...darn! I also like the low maintenance and appearance of plastic...no staining/painting & easy to hose off. I've already attached a tarp over the run so that the chickens have a dry place to hang out when it's pouring rain, and it should also keep the snow out of the run during the winter. I fold the tarp over on dry days. Since the run is so small, and I hear chickens aren't all too fond of running around in the snow, I'm hoping they will find the area under our 14' diameter trampoline to be adequate running around space during the snowy months. Once the ground freezes over, I'll quit tractoring the Eglu around on the lawn, and leave it parked in my veggie garden area (the bare dirt area shown in the picture)---pivoting it every so often to distribute any poop--which I'll till under in the spring.

I know there have been a couple of threads about the Eglu cube, but does anyone else have the small one like mine? I also just recently spotted some raccoons in the neighborhood (the first ones I've ever seen in my whole life) and hoping they aren't smart enough to figure out how to open the back door of the coop--which just has a knob you turn and then pull open the door.
65269_smeglu.jpg

I have an Eglu Classic. It's over a year old now, and still looks almost as pretty as it looked the day I got it. The one downside is that water sometimes leaks into the house, but that only happens when it rains pretty hard. All in all, I think I like my Eglu even better now than I did a year ago.
It's so easy to clean...
love.gif

I agree with the previous poster: I wouldn't rely on just a turning knob to keep chickens safe from raccoons.

Raccoons regularly try to eat our chickens, but they haven't succeeded yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

*Edited to add*

And the Eglus are safer than many of the chicken coops I've seen. Not 100% safe, but how many chicken coops are?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom