Lava lamp in the brooder

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
So a while back my heat lamp blew and the only other heat producing item in my home was a lava lamp, I decided to wrap it and felt and lay it on its side in the brooder, my chicks loved it way more than my usual heat lamp and they feathered out so quickly! My question it is it safe?

So a while back my heat lamp blew and the only other heat producing item in my home was a lava lamp, I decided to wrap it and felt and lay it on its side in the brooder, my chicks loved it way more than my usual heat lamp and they feathered out so quickly! My question it is it safe?

I doubt that it's safe for long-term use that way.

It's meant to be sitting upright and it's meant to be able to dissipate the heat freely rather than have the heat retained by a tile. It may burn out or it may start a fire.

Can you get a brooder plate?

We had a lava lamp and the bulb gets very hot. I think it isn’t safe.
You could get one of these inexpensive ceramic heat emitter bulbs and put it in your clamp light fixture. It puts out heat but no light. I have been using them for brooding chicks for 4 years.
67908284-9BEB-462F-805F-646F2D27FAB0.jpeg

I doubt that it's safe for long-term use that way.

It's meant to be sitting upright and it's meant to be able to dissipate the heat freely rather than have the heat retained by a tile. It may burn out or it may start a fire.

Can you get a brooder plate?
Nope, we've always used lamps because the plates were always too hot for the birds because of our climate

We had a lava lamp and the bulb gets very hot. I think it isn’t safe.
You could get one of these inexpensive ceramic heat emitter bulbs and put it in your clamp light fixture. It puts out heat but no light. I have been using them for brooding chicks for 4 years.
View attachment 3173727
Our lamp is just a small light bulb that produces a lot of heat, the actual lamp is just a glass bottle that sits on top of the light bulb, it does get hot and that's why we wrapped it and felt, we usually use bulbs that we get from our tractor supply or the milk jug method

Nope, we've always used lamps because the plates were always too hot for the birds because of our climate

*nods*

I'm liking the plate in my hot climate because it doesn't heat the entire brooder, but different methods work for different people and different situations.

I was adjusting temperatures by using different wattage reptile bulbs from the pet supply store.

Also update I went to tractor supply today and got two more bulbs so in case one goes out I have a second

Having a spare is a great idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom