Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

So I go to the coop to collect and another one of my lavenders just laid an egg and it's blue! Super exciting. One lays green and one lays blue. I wonder what the other will lay?

So I go to the coop to collect and another one of my lavenders just laid an egg and it's blue! Super exciting. One lays green and one lays blue. I wonder what the other will lay?

How Pretty! I can not wait to see what mine will lay, but I have a good wait still as mine are only 10 weeks! But I love seeing everyone elses eggs in the meantime!

I have a white Amerucana that lays Giant light blue eggs and Lavender Amerucanas that lay dark green eggs and an Easter Egger that lays a color in the middle. I Copied this clip for you

Ameraucana chickens should lay eggs with very light blue shells. You will know the blue egg shell color is the proper blue when the inside and outside egg shell colors are the same.

Many varieties and strains still carry modifying (brown egg) genes that cause their eggs to appear greenish (blue + brown = green). This is a common fault that Ameraucana breeders are trying to correct thru selective breeding programs, although it is not an easy task. These brown egg genes were introduced when blue egg laying chickens were crossed with brown egg laying chickens. There is a lot about shell color that is still a mystery and some of what we think we know today may be better understood in the future, as with all genetics.

One way to better understand egg shell color is to think of the shell as if it were vinyl siding on buildings. Imagine you have two chicken coops…one with white vinyl siding and the other with light blue vinyl siding. The material for making siding (and egg shells) starts out white (the base color). If light blue is desired, then a little blue dye is mixed in before the siding is formed. Just as white siding is white on the outside, inside and throughout; blue siding will have the blue color throughout. Now you decide you want both coops to be the same color so you buy some cheap brown paint and paint both coops, but they don’t look the same color after the paint dries. The brown paint was only applied to the exterior of the siding and didn’t penetrate into the siding. It even comes off when you brush up against painted surface. Depending on the shade of brown paint used on the white coop the exterior now looks that shade of brown. But, on the coop that was light blue the cheap paint didn’t do a good job of covering and as some of the blue vinyl color “bleeds” thru the brown paint the coop appears to be some shade of yucky green.
You should ALWAYS give credit to the source you copied from. Please click on the link to read the entire FAQ & answer from the Fowl Stuff site, along with several others.
http://FowlStuff.com/FFAQ.html#seven

Lavender 7 pullets, Cross Splits (possible straight blacks in this bunch as I have one cross pullet and a cross cockerel, so straight blacks are possible), Silvers 3 pullets. John Blehm line. They are about 9 months old right now. Gonna wait until there eggs are a little bigger. Though I must say the pullets eggs are already same size as my Easter eggers. Johns line must lay very big eggs. I live up in Crescent City in Del Norte CA.

Back
Top Bottom