Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I don't know what to call the whites. be honest with whom every you sell them too. it is a white Ameraucanas but it also carries lavender. if breed to another white it will breed true and will breed with lavender the same way. I would not use a white in a lavender pen intentionally. just muddied the waters too much..

The white ones should be recessive white. They won't carry the lavender at all.

These genes are carried at separate loci, so a bird can be homozygous for recessive white and the Lav gene.
Ack! How should I describe it to sell?

sell it as a blue egg layer if it is a pullet. EE covers a lot of ground. it is a pure Ameraucanas and is white and will breed true if put with other whites. I am using them to make my white Ameraucanas.

sell it as a blue egg layer if it is a pullet. EE covers a lot of ground. it is a pure Ameraucanas and is white and will breed true if put with other whites. I am using them to make my white Ameraucanas.
I'm thinking it is a roo. What would happen if bred with a black lavender split hen (I think the black split is a hen)? And thank everyone for your patience. :)

I'm thinking it is a roo. What would happen if bred with a black lavender split hen (I think the black split is a hen)? And thank everyone for your patience. :)

it is not a good idea to bred brother and sister. but you would getblavenders splits and whites.....maybe some blacks too.

if it were me I would sell him for dinner or EE and get an unrelated lavender roo for her. I will have new blood next spring

I'm going to be selecting one of my two lavender roosters soon. Right now, they are 13 weeks old. One looked like a boy very early on and was slow to feather at first, but is now catching up. The other feathered out very quickly, but has not grown real tail or sickle feathers yet. In fact, other than his comb, he has a hen-like appearance. I was going to take photos of him asking if it might be a hen today, but he decided to start crowing which made that unnecessary.

Did I read that slow-feathering had been an issue with lavenders? Should I choose the one that feathered quickly, or is it more important to look at shape and size? I think the fast feathering one might be bigger, but it definitely doesn't have as much rooster appearance as the other (yet). He looks like a really big hen. Neither one has really great feather quality, so that won't likely be the deciding factor. They both seem to have a nice temperament. Just wondering how I will ever decide between the two.

my understanding that in MOST breeds you should select against slow feathering. patterned breeds is different. my slw and blrw and GSBR are very very slow feathering and that is a great thing.

Back
Top Bottom