Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Thank you. This is helpful.

I have a mixed backyard flock, and have been more focused on a colorful egg basket than any particular breed. If I'm going to keep one of these roosters, I would much rather choose one that might have some potential, as opposed to just blindly selecting one.

If it is for your back yard flock, and you are not interested in breeding you might want to just keep the one you like.  Just a thought.

Thanks. That was my intent, but I was not particularly fond of either of them. Not that they are mean or anything, just no evidence of charm or particular friendliness. I am looking for any excuse to choose one over the other!

Thanks. That was my intent, but I was not particularly fond of either of them. Not that they are mean or anything, just no evidence of charm or particular friendliness. I am looking for any excuse to choose one over the other!

Then, option #3--find a cockerel that makes you happy.

i am on board with is project also. i have to read from the beginning.. in the pen is lavender ameraucanas.1 cuckoo lav cockerel .1 cockerel not barred. 4 pullets. i the incubator 12 eggs from faykoko.

Hello everyone, I have 2 young cockerels that are still growing out but need to be rehomed. Hatched 5-3-13 and raised by silkies. I have them listed for Free to good home. I'm hoping someone can take one of these handsome fellas and give him a flock of pullets!

I wouldn't keep a slow feathering cockerel and #2 looks like he might end up with some leakage pretty quick. I like him better overall and he has a darker eye.
I hope you don't mind me asking, I'm new to this. What is leakage on the feathers? I understand on the eyes, but not sure what I'm looking at for it on feathers. Could someone explain it? I feel a bit embarrassed on asking, but I want to know what I'm looking at

I hope you don't mind me asking, I'm new to this. What is leakage on the feathers? I understand on the eyes, but not sure what I'm looking at for it on feathers. Could someone explain it? I feel a bit embarrassed on asking, but I want to know what I'm looking at

buckabucka, I would agree with pips&peeps assessment. I would also say that even those that have no intent to show poultry would be well advised to keep and attempt to produce birds that are of quality as relates to breed type.
An aggressive rooster is not pleasant to deal with on many levels, which is another consideration.
You can usually obtain chickens of good quality for the same price as is paid for mutts, so why not have quality birds.
If you have it in your mind that hybrid vigor will result in superior egg production a cross of some sort may be logical.
The cross should be well thought out and of two quality breeds in my opinion. A flock of mutt chickens looks like a flock of mutt chickens.

I wouldn't keep a slow feathering cockerel and #2 looks like he might end up with some leakage pretty quick. I like him better overall and he has a darker eye.

What is a "slow feathering cockerel" and why wouldn't you keep him? Is slow feathering an issue with pullets?

Why do you say he looks like he might end up with some leakage? To my eye, I see stress bars on the bird, which is an issue during the feather development. What am I missing?

[Stress bars are lines across the feathers where the barbels don't develop, so the feather doesn't develop a solid surface, instead having some empty space. In parrots, it is caused by some kind of stress as the feather is growing, often nutritional stress.]

I notice my one lavender Ameraucana has a lot of stress bars on her feathers. Thoughts?

Thanks.

LL

Last edited:
What is a "slow feathering cockerel" and why wouldn't you keep him? Is slow feathering an issue with pullets? Why do you say he looks like he might end up with some leakage? To my eye, I see stress bars on the bird, which is an issue during the feather development. What am I missing? [Stress bars are lines across the feathers where the barbels don't develop, so the feather doesn't develop a solid surface, instead having some empty space. In parrots, it is caused by some kind of stress as the feather is growing, often nutritional stress.] I notice my one lavender Ameraucana has a lot of stress bars on her feathers. Thoughts? Thanks.
LL
I have only ever heard of these( stress bars) called fretting? And I have been told this is undesirable. If someone could let me know if this right or wrong would be great! I'm pretty sure the info was correct ( due to where it came from). Thanks! ETA: that also my birds have some of this and I haven't personally seen any lavs that don't have at least a little tiny bit somewhere on them....I ould love to know if this is the case cross the board? Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom