Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Lavender can have greenish egg color and size issues . This has to do with how they were developed . You may have gotten pullet eggs . In spite of your doubts they hatched well for shipped . So the seller is doing something right . Each breeder has a priority in mind for improvements . Some breeders do not consider a green tint a high priority for elimination and some do . So here is some history on lavender from memory . Most lavender trace back to John Blehm who started with bantam first . He used lavender Old English game bantam and Belgian De Anvers lavender bantam over black Ameraucana bantam as a starting point . Since both breeds lay tinted eggs some brown pigment was there to give a green tint to the eggs . John then used the bantam lavender Ameraucana on black large fowl to start the large lavender . Continued breeding back to black in both lines has brought improvements . Harry Shaffer also developed large fowl lavender independently . He says he used a lavender EE to start his line . Some breeders have combined both lines . So depending when a breeder got his start and where he got them from can have a effect on what he had to work with . Add his choices to the mix and the results can vary a bit . Myself I got a cock bird from John to start my lavender large fowl . I used him over hens that improved egg color and egg size plus egg production . My choice for first improvements . I am now improving size . This is a step forward and backward also . The size came from a line prone to lay green tint eggs . So now I will select for size and egg color . I hope this helps you understand some of the issues you encountered . Lavender is still in the project stage . Yes there are people trying to cash in on a new color . They sometimes will breed anything lavender for the money . No continued effort for improvements from some of these people . Most of the fast $ people have no idea how to ship , feed , and handle for good hatching of shipped eggs . Since yours hatched better than average I would say your reputable breeder is a good one . Improvements still needed in his birds but most do need continued effort .

Thank you for this very informative post. I have learned so much in just a few short days from the sharing of information to a newbie like myself. It is very helpful to learn as one goes along. I didn't realize how new the formation of this color is, and how few experts there are with them. I think it is wonderful that there is a place that people can learn from experienced chicken owners and breeders for the improvement of this color of Ameraucana. You mention feeding, I feel that this is perhaps far overlooked. We work with racehorses for a living, and I am always amazed at how people cut corners when feeding their growing horses. Nutrition is such an important factor in the building blocks of success.

Thank you again for answering and educating me. It is much appreciated.

MB

I just hatched out 4 little lavender chicks from shipped eggs that had the wonkiest air cells. I went against my better judgment and set them anyway. I ordered these from a lavender breeder who is reputable. The eggs came shipped fairly well, but I was quite disappointed with their size, egg color and seeming quality of the eggs. Since I had paid handsomely for them, and I am a complete newbie, I decided to set them anyway, and have it be a learning experience. I have a Brinsea Mini advance and picked the best 7, and set them. out of the 7, 6 made it to lockdown, and as of this afternoon, 4 have hatched, and two I think must be late deaths, as when they went into lockdown they were all moving and squirming.

Questions are... do lavenders have egg color issues? If these weren't from a reputable breeder, I would have thought they weren't even Ameraucana eggs. I only have one black Ameraucana hen, and she lays such a nice true blue, large egg. These eggs were green, and also very very small. I am hoping these are truly LF bird, but then again, he only advertised LF. I am strictly a back yard hobby breeder building a second flock for eggs of breeds I have dreamt of owning. I have a beautiful black/lav split roo that supposedly is from some nice lines. He is a gentleman, and free ranges with the girls. I wanted some nice lav hens to cross him with. I did email the breeder, and asked why the eggs were so small, and about the color... but haven't heard back. I am happy these four little ones seem to be getting stronger, and I will hope for at least one hen. It was a lesson learned, and one where when you are doubtful about the eggs,, perhaps not setting them is the way to handle it. But, I do have 4 pretty new little chicks. I will see how they grow.

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!
MB

I always encourage people to ask lots of questions before they buy eggs - I agree with Jerryse, you had a good hatch rate and green tinted eggs are not unusual for lavenders. Some questions you may want to ask before buying eggs of any breed are
1. how long have you been breeding this breed
2. what issues/faults are you working on in your flock
3. what features are the best in your flock
4. how do you select your breeding stock
5. how do you pack your eggs
6. if egg color is a quality of the breed then ask them what the egg color is and ask for a picture with a color reference in it (an egg color chart or online auction color chart)

Notice that I didn't suggest asking what lines they have? Getting a good line of birds is great, but doesn't mean much if the person doesn't breed right. Within two generations, the original "lines" can be destroyed by poor breeding practices.

I always encourage people to ask lots of questions before they buy eggs - I agree with Jerryse, you had a good hatch rate and green tinted eggs are not unusual for lavenders. Some questions you may want to ask before buying eggs of any breed are
1. how long have you been breeding this breed
2. what issues/faults are you working on in your flock
3. what features are the best in your flock
4. how do you select your breeding stock
5. how do you pack your eggs
6. if egg color is a quality of the breed then ask them what the egg color is and ask for a picture with a color reference in it (an egg color chart or online auction color chart)

Notice that I didn't suggest asking what lines they have? Getting a good line of birds is great, but doesn't mean much if the person doesn't breed right. Within two generations, the original "lines" can be destroyed by poor breeding practices.

All excellent points, bookmarked and saved for the future! I understand the last line of your post.. we work with thoroughbred racehorses, and the standards for which horses should be bred have been grossly distorted over the years.

Thank you again,
MB

I live in North Idaho and would like to know if anyone would like a Lavender Ameraucana roo? Currently 5 weeks old. He is aggressive toward his siblings, so I do not want to keep him. I am 95% sure that he is a young roo. I have another gentle Lav Am roo, but I will hold on to him until I am sure that he is a male. Maybe 4-5 more weeks. He will also be needing a new home. My chicks were hatched from eggs that I purchased from a local reputable breeder. The eggs that they hatched from were a nice bluish green color. PM me if interested. I am most likely going to give the aggressive roo away, and sell the gentle one.

I live in North Idaho and would like to know if anyone would like a Lavender Ameraucana roo? Currently 5 weeks old. He is aggressive toward his siblings, so I do not want to keep him. I am 95% sure that he is a young roo. I have another gentle Lav Am roo, but I will hold on to him until I am sure that he is a male. Maybe 4-5 more weeks. He will also be needing a new home. My chicks were hatched from eggs that I purchased from a local reputable breeder. The eggs that they hatched from were a nice bluish green color. PM me if interested. I am most likely going to give the aggressive roo away, and sell the gentle one.
I do believe that I cured the mean little roo. A few days in jail and free range with the big girls during the day put him in his place. Today her was with his siblings and there were NO fights. Just play time.
thumbsup.gif
I will keep him a couple of months more and then sell him.

All excellent points, bookmarked and saved for the future! I understand the last line of your post.. we work with thoroughbred racehorses, and the standards for which horses should be bred have been grossly distorted over the years.

Thank you again,
MB

I have Thoroughbreds racehorses, too. I know what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom