Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Hi I have just started with lavender and wheaten ameraucaunas. I have 15 wheatens and 2 lavenders I bought from Paul Smith from his June 9th hatch. I have 42 I bought from four different breeders. I hatched 10 from eggs I bought from Bowling Green Ky. I bought 12 from a lady here in S.C. I have 20 I bought from two different ladies in N.C. They all were all about a week old when I bought them. The reason I only got 2 from Paul he was sold out for the season, but I got him to sell me 2 along with the wheatens hoping I would get a rooster to go with the hens I keep from the others. These lavenders are now 9 to 10 weeks old except Paul's. I am now ready to start giving some roosters away. I have spent a lot of time looking at pictures on this thread. I think I got some of the roosters identified but there is still some I am not sure of. I didn't know breeding ameraucanas was so hard until I read some of these post, and post on the ABC. I see I have a lot to learn. There is terms used I don't even know what they mean. I saw a post on here that said it wasn't good to get birds from several different breeders. I have them now so I need to learn what to look for to keep the best ones and go from here. is there a book or books I can buy to help me? I need all the advice I can get. THANK YOU Steve Todd from S.C.

Who in NC? I purchased 6 back in May. I am still playing the hurry up and wait game with my flock. What are the characteristics of your cockerels? Sounds like you are doing well not to have lost a few. Look forward to seeing pictures of some in the future.

I got 10 from a lady name Sandy outside Greensboro N.C. a place called Grays Chapel I think. Then I got 10 from a lady close to Wilmington N.C. off Hwy 17. I can't recall her name right off. I have not lost any because I have spent the money to build pens to keep them off the ground. I think that helps with young chicks. I will see if I can post some pic's later. I am in Andrews S.C.

Thanks for the info on the SOP book, l will order one right away. So will I find the standard for lavender ameraucanas in that book? I think there is still a lot of knowledge shared on this thread. Thanks Guys or Gals

Thanks for the info on the SOP book, l will order one right away. So will I find the standard for lavender ameraucanas in that book? I think there is still a lot of knowledge shared on this thread. Thanks Guys or Gals

No, you will not find lavender Ameraucanas in there because the APA does not recognize lavender as an accepted color. You will find a description of an Ameraucana and that is the same for all colors. Technically, there is no such thing as a lavender Ameraucana, they are called project birds untill they are recognized by the Ameraucana breed club and the APA. That is a long and very involved process...

Newbie! I obtained three LA. 2 are cocktails very nicely bearded/muffed. The 3rd is a pullet with no beard/muff. I hope at least one pullet, they're 3 mos now. Question. If I bred them will the beard/muffed come through?

A little off topic but I thought I would share photos of my lavender cuckoo project . Look at those dark legs .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom