Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

If you are looking for a house in the Middle we have one for sale in Inglewood with almost an acre lot LOL. 

Good luck!  I would stick with blues for now.  If you want Lavender pullet down the road just buy some.... I am sure there is someone near you with them. ;)

Oh, man! I wish we'd known! We close on Tuesday!
1f60b.png
1f60b.png

I've bred my Lavender Roo to my Blue Marans as a personal project to produce a Lavender Olive Egger line. Otherwise I've kept my lavender ameraucana line pure. And yes, I have bred birds from the same lines (sibling birds) to lock in desirable traits. You can do this for only a few generations w/o causing sterility. That's why this thread is important as we need to be trading fertile eggs!! I'm done for the season but would like to trade eggs in the Spring with someone who doesn't have this broken feather issue and has 3rd generation Lavs.

PLEASE PLEASE Don't use BLUE in you lavenders. Back to BLACK. You don't want to add in the other issues that blue can throw in.

Ignore--question answered. I should have read further down the thread before responding.

What other issues? Thanks.

Last edited:
I was at the state meet in Michigan this past weekend . Fowl Fest . Won large fowl best of breed and champion AOSB on a black pullet from my lavender pen . Yes split for lavender . So pleased with my lavender breeding progress .

I was at the state meet in Michigan this past weekend . Fowl Fest . Won large fowl best of breed and champion AOSB on a black pullet from my lavender pen . Yes split for lavender . So pleased with my lavender breeding progress .

Good for you! WE need pics!!!!!

Congrats to You !!!!

Quite an accomplishment

Good morning!!! My lav hen will be laying eggs in the next 3-6 weeks. (Crosses fingers) and I am brand new to chickens espcially amerucanas. Could you guys look over my pair and let me know what you think about breeding them. The hen is very petitte but both have beautiful plumage but are lacking in beard fluff. (At least to me) thanks in advance!!

Good morning!!! My lav hen will be laying eggs in the next 3-6 weeks. (Crosses fingers) and I am brand new to chickens espcially amerucanas. Could you guys look over my pair and let me know what you think about breeding them. The hen is very petitte but both have beautiful plumage but are lacking in beard fluff. (At least to me) thanks in advance!!

How old are they? I'm going to preface this with reminding everyone that I am a novice, so any of my comments should be taken with a lot more than a grain of salt, maybe a tablespoon of sale. I would love for the experts to take my critique and show me where I am right and where I am wrong. All of us novices learn that way.

I love the feather quality, which I think is really hard to get. Personally, I would sacrifice a lot for no fretting. I wouldn't fault them on their beards. They look as if they don't have quite enough body--I would like to see a rounder, fuller sweep along the under body. They don't seem to have the sweeping curves I like to see, but maybe they are just young. Are they narrow across the hip? Although most people are looking at the breed as strickly an egg layer, they are a dual purpose breed and I think we need to breed for meat-bird qualities as well. Overall, I like the birds but as I said before, I'm pretty new at this.

They do get a lot bigger as they get older. My oldest Lavender cock is pretty good size. The younger ones not so much. That is one reason we breed back to black is to improve type. I don't have any other color ams so I can't compare size really. I have never heard of anyone raising them as a dual purpose breed. I have much bigger birds for that..... they have never struck me as a meat bird..... neither do leghorns. I am sure people eat them. i heard they taste like game meat not chicken.

Maybe I haven't thought this out but I have 2 pure lav Ameraucana hens mated with the AM roo always had lav chicks with tufts..but later let them all free range with other breeds and One of my Younger girls from one of these hens looks just like the 2 pure hens. This younger girl lays green eggs though so is mixed with another breed.
So how did that happen If lav only come out of lavs?
Although her Dad MIGHT be a black orp with BBS background not sure as they all were free ranging but he was the dominate roo.possibly she became Lavender from him?
I did get a roo later Who is blue. Body lavender but hackles black Brown. And he's for sure part Orp has the orp comb.
I had a few chicks born with that lav girl that were for sure EEs but were lavender..this girl had the tufts etc others didn't so thought her maybe pure since i did have a Lav Am roo too.IDK.

Back
Top Bottom