Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

is there a link to the breeders page? Thanks for the heads up, I'm very new to Ameraucana's and have been wanting to get a nice flock for our farm.
What DMrippy said...I think Stromberg's may be able to get you Ameraucana's with a special order. They I think that is the hatchery that sells 'show quality'...but as Drippy said, you will get much better birds from an Ameraucana breeder. http://ameraucana.org/breedersdirectory.html

I'm so glad you started this thread!! I don't read the ABC forum. I do read the Ameraucana thread, but its such an active thread I find it hard to keep up with. I find it impossible to locate and information regarding lavenders. I always just PM happy when I have a question. This will be nice!! Also, I love to get my birds critiqued. If I don't know what's wrong, I can't fix it!!!
omgors . they're LOVELY

Hi all,
I am new to the Lavender Ameraucanas. I just hatched out a couple of chicks from an order of shipped eggs that came from someone I found here on BYC. Over the past year, I have been studying the breed standard and reading the Ameraucana threads here on the forum, trying to learn what I should be looking for, as I would like to raise and eventually sell quality breeding stock.

I just got 2 chicks out of the 12 eggs that I had shipped, and that is ok because I did have thermometer issues the last couple of days and that very well could have screwed my hatch up a bit (I had 7 viable eggs go to lockdown.)
Both of these chicks have shank feathering, and one of them has very odd wing feathers growing in...kind of kinky looking and sticking out, almost like a frizzle. I adore these chicks....they are hands-down the friendliest, most sociable chicks I've ever had, and that's saying something, seeing as how I have a leash-trained Marans roo that rides in the truck with me....
But....I am thinking these lav babies are not going to be breeding quality, and I need to try again. Any input would be welcome!

This is a top view of the chick with the oddball wing feathers.
This chick also has 3 or 4 feathers on each leg.

The smaller chick on the right has a full line of feathers going down the outside of each leg.

Just wondering where these anomalies could be coming from! No matter what, these babies are keepers, because they are just so darn friendly and cute, and if nothing else, I can make easter eggers and olive eggers with them!

Hi all,
I am new to the Lavender Ameraucanas. I just hatched out a couple of chicks from an order of shipped eggs that came from someone I found here on BYC. Over the past year, I have been studying the breed standard and reading the Ameraucana threads here on the forum, trying to learn what I should be looking for, as I would like to raise and eventually sell quality breeding stock.

I just got 2 chicks out of the 12 eggs that I had shipped, and that is ok because I did have thermometer issues the last couple of days and that very well could have screwed my hatch up a bit (I had 7 viable eggs go to lockdown.)
Both of these chicks have shank feathering, and one of them has very odd wing feathers growing in...kind of kinky looking and sticking out, almost like a frizzle. I adore these chicks....they are hands-down the friendliest, most sociable chicks I've ever had, and that's saying something, seeing as how I have a leash-trained Marans roo that rides in the truck with me....
But....I am thinking these lav babies are not going to be breeding quality, and I need to try again. Any input would be welcome!

This is a top view of the chick with the oddball wing feathers.
This chick also has 3 or 4 feathers on each leg.

The smaller chick on the right has a full line of feathers going down the outside of each leg.

Just wondering where these anomalies could be coming from! No matter what, these babies are keepers, because they are just so darn friendly and cute, and if nothing else, I can make easter eggers and olive eggers with them!
I decided a long time ago that if possible I would order chicks from a respected breeder... I rarely get a dead chick when having them shipped, or a better than 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs..

Hi all, I am new to the Lavender Ameraucanas. I just hatched out a couple of chicks from an order of shipped eggs that came from someone I found here on BYC. Over the past year, I have been studying the breed standard and reading the Ameraucana threads here on the forum, trying to learn what I should be looking for, as I would like to raise and eventually sell quality breeding stock. I just got 2 chicks out of the 12 eggs that I had shipped, and that is ok because I did have thermometer issues the last couple of days and that very well could have screwed my hatch up a bit (I had 7 viable eggs go to lockdown.) Both of these chicks have shank feathering, and one of them has very odd wing feathers growing in...kind of kinky looking and sticking out, almost like a frizzle. I adore these chicks....they are hands-down the friendliest, most sociable chicks I've ever had, and that's saying something, seeing as how I have a leash-trained Marans roo that rides in the truck with me.... But....I am thinking these lav babies are not going to be breeding quality, and I need to try again. Any input would be welcome! This is a top view of the chick with the oddball wing feathers. This chick also has 3 or 4 feathers on each leg. The smaller chick on the right has a full line of feathers going down the outside of each leg. Just wondering where these anomalies could be coming from! No matter what, these babies are keepers, because they are just so darn friendly and cute, and if nothing else, I can make easter eggers and olive eggers with them!
While it might be difficult to get perfect lavs anywhere, you can certainly do better than feathered shanks. I would not try to figure out how it happened and put them in your layer pen. I would not use them for breeding. You can check out the ABC breeders directory for other sources.

Here are my two breeding males for this year. My original 2013 cock bird and his 2014 son.

2013 cock-bird

#2, 3 - 2014 cockerel. He has a bit more body mass than his sire, something I am breeding towards.

2014 cockerel from same sire. Not a keeper, but just wanted to put his picture out there to show a "poorer" quality bird, in my opinion.

Anyone interested in a small LF cockerel? He is just over a year (hatched last March). I would keep him, but my goal for this year was to add some size, since my 2014 pullets all turned out a bit on the smaller side... I am willing to ship him but would need to get a box first. I am NPIP certified in VT, but not AI or MG certified. Our state does random AI testing (those were clear) but no Mycoplasma testing.

Chicks ! Here is the interesting thing these are sex link Ameraucana . Sadly only 2 pullets out of 8 chicks . Males have the white head spot .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom