Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Hey everyone, i need some advice. This is Bandit. He's the best looking boy of the 3 that i hatched from shipped eggs. I know that's not a great picture but you can see his shape anyway. These ameraucanas are all possible lavender splits. The question i have is in twists to his hackles. He had silver-ish "highlights" in them that i just recently noticed. What's is that from our what causes it? Is he ok to breed or should i chose one of the other boys who don't look as good. One has a weird looking comb where the middle row is 3 times longer than than the other two rows making it look like a straight comb in the middle. The other has a bad looking tail. Here are pictures of the highlights.

ETA: it's just the silver looking spots. That list picture looks like he has blonde on his head but that's just light reflecting on his feathers.

That is leakage . Said to be not enough melanizers present . So how did it happen ? Well lavender males look silvery in the neck and saddle . So silver leakage is really hard to spot on lavender .
Shows up when crossed to black . So a black/lavender male with no leakage is very useful in breeding lavenders without leakage .

That is leakage . Said to be not enough melanizers present . So how did it happen ? Well lavender males look silvery in the neck and saddle . So silver leakage is really hard to spot on lavender .
Shows up when crossed to black . So a black/lavender male with no leakage is very useful in breeding lavenders without leakage .
Lavenders *should* be silver based, though, right?

Thank you very much for posting your beautiful pics. I too have cream legbar pullets that are just starting to lay. They have light blue eggs that are so beautiful, it's hard to eat them. :) I was wondering if there was a darker blue egger.

Thank you very much for posting your beautiful pics.  I too have cream legbar pullets that are just starting to lay.  They have light blue eggs that are so beautiful, it's hard to eat them.  :)  I was wondering if there was a darker blue egger.

I'm not an 'eggspert'
1f60b.png
but it's my understanding that for purebred stock, Ameraucanas and Cream Legbars are your bluest layers. Now some breeders select for egg color after perfecting their SOP , so you can find ads for bluer eggs from different lines of each breed. There is a cross, called a SBEL, that is an Ameraucana with a leghorn and I've seen very blue eggs with those. Also, I know mypetchicken has just released a cross, I think it's called a blue isbar, or something to that effect, that is supposed to lay a true blue egg, but I haven't seen any owner photos of these eggs as of yet, as it's a fairly new cross.

UPDATE:
I just wanted to report that those two Americauna/Cemani mixes I recently hatched 4 weeks ago, are turning even a darker blue now!
Almost purple!

3 days old

The Cockrell is showing a lace tip like pattern with purple highlights...

This mix looking pretty cool...

What do you guys think?

Update:
Here they are older...

Pulled

Cockrell

Hi!  I'm planning to get my chickens from Sawmill.  They're the closest to my location in Jacksonville FL.  How was you're experience with them?
[/quote
I just had 3 pullets shipped to me in Missouri from them. They are perfect!!! Great people to deal with.

I'm not an 'eggspert'
1f60b.png
but it's my understanding that for purebred stock, Ameraucanas and Cream Legbars are your bluest layers. Now some breeders select for egg color after perfecting their SOP , so you can find ads for bluer eggs from different lines of each breed. There is a cross, called a SBEL, that is an Ameraucana with a leghorn and I've seen very blue eggs with those. Also, I know mypetchicken has just released a cross, I think it's called a blue isbar, or something to that effect, that is supposed to lay a true blue egg, but I haven't seen any owner photos of these eggs as of yet, as it's a fairly new cross.
Just for clarification - I'm not sure what mypetchicken is offering, but the Blue Isbar is not a cross. It is a breed of chicken developed in Sweden in the 70's by a monk named Martin Silverudd. It is a excellent layer of large to extra-large green eggs.

ETA - I just checked out mypetchicken's website. They are offering a new cross called Cuckoo Bluebar. Apparently they are supposed to lay true blue eggs, but since they eggs they send to hatch are actually tinted or cream, my guess is the eggs will actually be genetically green.

Last edited:
Just for clarification - I'm not sure what mypetchicken is offering, but the Blue Isbar is not a cross. It is a breed of chicken developed in Sweden in the 70's by a monk named Martin Silverudd. It is a excellent layer of large to extra-large green eggs.

ETA - I just checked out mypetchicken's website. They are offering a new cross called Cuckoo Bluebar. Apparently they are supposed to lay true blue eggs, but since they eggs they send to hatch are actually tinted or cream, my guess is the eggs will actually be genetically green. 

Wrong name, sorry.
1f60b.png

Back
Top Bottom