Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I started with a lavender rooster from John . So yes I crossed them to black hens to start my lavenders . Good results . The thing to remember is it is very important to select the best from any cross . It is not so much what you put in .It is all about what you keep .

So you crossed with your blacks, then got splits. Then bred the splits to splits and got lavenders?

Just wonder if possible crossing with other lavender lines could improve feather and egg color/quality?

I know everyone is proud of their lines. Though crossing might led to a even better more robust lavenders?

So you crossed with your blacks, then got splits. Then bred the splits to splits and got lavenders?

Just wonder if possible crossing with other lavender lines could improve feather and egg color/quality?

I know everyone is proud of their lines. Though crossing might led to a even better more robust lavenders?
The feather issue is linked to lavender . Genetic diversity is the best way to improve vigor and laying . So yes new blood helps . I chose diversity for those reasons . You will get less show winners that way but I consider egg production to be near the top of my list .

How can you tell show quality from reject birds? If a bird is straight Lavender with no leakage then how can you tell they are quality. What are the specs
The specs for every APA accepted breed and variety are in their American Standard of Perfection (aka the Standard).
Beyond that you really should join the Ameraucana Alliance, the breed club that represents Ameraucana chickens. There you can pick the brains of the top breeders. There is a breed club for just about every breed and they are the organizations every dedicated fancier should be part of for not only for their own benefit, but for the promotion and betterment of your chosen breed(s).

How can you tell show quality from reject birds? If a bird is straight Lavender with no leakage then how can you tell they are quality. What are the specs

BarrettG, you can read a condensed version of the standard here: http://ameraucana.org/standard.html at the Ameraucana Breeders Club site.

We are currently in the process of getting the variety recognized by the APA.

BarrettG,  you can read a condensed version of the standard here:  http://ameraucana.org/standard.html  at the Ameraucana Breeders Club site.

We are currently in the process of getting the variety recognized by the APA.

This says the same thing I have seen on other sites" eyes:expressive, ear lobes:small" what color or shape is expressive? What does expressive mean in regards to chicken eyes? Define small earlobes like what size? I find it vague. Is that so people can minipulate the system? It's says the back should be medium length but from where to where do you take the measurements or is that something experienced breeders just know?

This says the same thing I have seen on other sites" eyes:expressive, ear lobes:small" what color or shape is expressive? What does expressive mean in regards to chicken eyes? Define small earlobes like what size? I find it vague. Is that so people can minipulate the system? It's says the back should be medium length but from where to where do you take the measurements or is that something experienced breeders just know?
You are over thinking . Eye color is stated in the standard . Expressive rules out a sleepy or droopy looking eye . Small ear lobe . Well the Muff and beard tend to hide the ear lobe . This rules out very large and easily seen lobes . For comparison on backs you need to look at other breeds . Some have very long backs . This speaks to the body type . Type is very important to a breed . So no it is not to manipulate the system .

A good thing for you to do would be to attend a poultry show. You will have a chance to look at many different varieties of birds.

I thought you bred the pure lavender to the splits to get lavenders. Can you do both, or is the split to split preferable?

Back
Top Bottom