Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

2017 New Member Drawing!
Every year, at our National Meet, we put all the new member's names, that have joined since the last National, into a hat and draw out one winner. So far, since we started this program, we've shipped out two incubators, and one Eco Glow 20 Brooder Heater.

This year's award will be this Premier 1 Brooder Heater, 12"x12", for up to 20 chicks, with the cover! These are the heaters that I use and love them!

Members do not need to be present to win. Drawing will held at our 2017 National Meet, at the Minnesota State Poultry Show, 10/28-29/2017, Hutchinson, MN.

To enter, just join the ABC! You can join online at ameraucanabreedersclub.org/membership.html

I have Lavender Am eggs in lockdown, due to hatch today !! I'm so excited, these are the first that made it this far, the earlier ones were not fertile.

I get such joy from gathering eggs, the Lavenders in particular are so docile that I have to reach over them into the nestbox to get the eggs. They refuse to move like most of the other breeds. My presence just doesn't concern them at all -- unless I'm holding the bowl they get their treats in, then they sure notice me.

I do feel a debt of gratitude to the people who have devoted years to creating the lines of Ameraucanas we enjoy now. We have such an embarrassment of riches in this country, not the least of which is the huge selection of poultry within our reach. I do love these Ams and will never willingly give them up.

I have Lavender Am eggs in lockdown, due to hatch today !! I'm so excited, these are the first that made it this far, the earlier ones were not fertile.
Congratulations - albeit in advance - for your new lavender Ams coming today. I had my first two hatch overnight with a third almost there. But these guys are all black - intentionally! - as I decided to start the year with splits. My bantam lavs had a few areas for improvement where I hoped my blacks could help. I set up a pen with a black cockerel over my lavender girls and another with a lavender cockerel over black girls. I'm banding them as they come out in hopes of tracking how the different crosses develop.

I do miss seeing those silvery babies a bit but hopefully later this year we'll have some.

Congratulations - albeit in advance - for your new lavender Ams coming today. I had my first two hatch overnight with a third almost there. But these guys are all black - intentionally! - as I decided to start the year with splits. My bantam lavs had a few areas for improvement where I hoped my blacks could help. I set up a pen with a black cockerel over my lavender girls and another with a lavender cockerel over black girls. I'm banding them as they come out in hopes of tracking how the different crosses develop.

I do miss seeing those silvery babies a bit but hopefully later this year we'll have some.
I have bantam lavenders as well. I won't say this around the other chickens -- but they are my very favorites, so very tame. They have me trained to give them mealworms almost every day.

They have been laying a little, but so far none I have incubated have developed. I hope that changes, when these were little they reminded me of animated dust bunnies, and I so want some more of those running around.

I have bantam lavenders as well. I won't say this around the other chickens -- but they are my very favorites, so very tame. They have me trained to give them mealworms almost every day.

They have been laying a little, but so far none I have incubated have developed. I hope that changes, when these were little they reminded me of animated dust bunnies, and I so want some more of those running around.

I have some as well. I will be outcrossing to blacks this year. The person I got them from hasn't brought in any new blood and they look more like a d'Anver than an ameraucana now.

The feather quality actually seems ok, but their tails are a bit high and they drag their wings something terrible. The females aren't as bad as the males, so hopefully it will only take a couple generations to fix the issues.

They are so fun. I enjoy my bantams so much. They seem to have better personalities and are easier to care for.

The feather quality actually seems ok, but their tails are a bit high and they drag their wings something terrible. The females aren't as bad as the males, so hopefully it will only take a couple generations to fix the issues.
Hi Jean,

You bring up an interesting point about areas for improvements in the bantam lavenders. I have a few females who don't have an appealing transition from back to tail - very abrupt and carried high - but not all. I also noticed a couple of the males with lower wing carriage but not the worst I've seen in say bantam silvers. I've got issues with trying to get a nice, even color without barring. I also have some of the straw coloration but I am just not convinced it's leakage. It doesn't "act" like leakage in that it will molt out and some of the females actually have it... but more randomly. I've not had frayed feathers but a few of the males could definitely use a bit more feather width so they don't look stringy.

How are your birds for evenness of color?

-Temple

There is some of that barring type issue in these, but it is not too bad. I really think it is because of the black modifiers bred into the blacks that makes this pop up. That is the only thing that I could attribute it to as I know there is no barring gene in them.

I think once we get our type set and stop using the splits it may go away. I could be wrong, but that is what I am going to try.

The birds I have seem to have the silver based leakage. I had around nine cockerels and culled all but one and he doesn't seem to have leakage that I can see. When the splits come, then we will see if they show any leakage. If they do, I will have to do some one on one breeding to see if any of my girls are producing it.

Please could all participants of this thread remind themselves of the forum rules which can be found here ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service

This is a wonderful thread with lot's of great information. Let's keep things on the right track so the information can be shared by all.

Thank you for your cooperation with this matter.

BYC staff.

There is some of that barring type issue in these, but it is not too bad. I really think it is because of the black modifiers bred into the blacks that makes this pop up. That is the only thing that I could attribute it to as I know there is no barring gene in them.

I think once we get our type set and stop using the splits it may go away. I could be wrong, but that is what I am going to try.

The birds I have seem to have the silver based leakage. I had around nine cockerels and culled all but one and he doesn't seem to have leakage that I can see. When the splits come, then we will see if they show any leakage. If they do, I will have to do some one on one breeding to see if any of my girls are producing it.

Could you explain what you mean by silver based leakage? I'm new to lavenders and want to learn as much as I can! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom