Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

There is some of that barring type issue in these, but it is not too bad. I really think it is because of the black modifiers bred into the blacks that makes this pop up. That is the only thing that I could attribute it to as I know there is no barring gene in them.

I think once we get our type set and stop using the splits it may go away. I could be wrong, but that is what I am going to try.
Thanks, Jean. And here I was thinking the blacks would help all around, including that barring. I will have to watch to see if using these splits I just hatched creates more barring down the line.

I'll be curious to see if I have gold leakage in these splits. I just can't be sure the straw coloring is leakage so maybe this will be a good way to test that.

I saw a couple of her LF self-blue hens at the Dixie Classic and was very impressed! Excellent type and color.  I think you'll be very happy with those.

Thank you for the compliment Susan!
1f60a.png

There are always things to improve upon, but I am super excited about this springs hatches.
1f60d.png
I enjoy doing what I can to advocate for the color. It's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Hi Jean,

You bring up an interesting point about areas for improvements in the bantam lavenders.  I have a few females who don't have an appealing transition from back to tail - very abrupt and carried high - but not all.  I also noticed a couple of the males with lower wing carriage but not the worst I've seen in say bantam silvers.  I've got issues with trying to get a nice, even color without barring.  I also have some of the straw coloration but I am just not convinced it's leakage.  It doesn't "act" like leakage in that it will molt out and some of the females actually have it... but more randomly.  I've not had frayed feathers but a few of the males could definitely use a bit more feather width so they don't look stringy.

How are your birds for evenness of color?

-Temple

It seems like if leakage is present that it is evident by 5-6 months. I wonder if the straw color could be gold leakage, of it could just be sun bleaching! I noticed some of my lavenders got sun bleaching last summer, so now they have a nice home in the barn. It seems like if it were leakage it would go all the way down to the base of the feather, whereas with sun bleaching the only affected portion may be the parts exposed to the sun.
1f60a.png
But who knows, I am just thinking out loud....I have also noticed that some self blues will turn a rusty-brownish color in areas at the time of molt. Out with the old feathers and in with the new! I had a few hens that did that, and one cockerel, and now they all look fresh and new and ready to show.
1f60d.png

Cackle Hatchery is starting to offer LF lavender Ameraucanas this year. They now have black, blue and lavender. I see this as another milestone in the recognition of Ameraucana chickens as a Standard breed...separate from Araucana, Americana (whatever they are) and Easter Egg chickens.
We've come a long way baby!
smile.png

Is there a breeder listing anywhere? I am in VT, and I would like to know where around me might have started or adult birds available. Thank you!

Is there a breeder listing anywhere? I am in VT, and I would like to know where around me might have started or adult birds available. Thank you!

Yes, there are two clubs with breeders listenings on them. Ameraucana Breeders Club and Ameraucana Alliance Club. You may find someone on there that has what you are looking for.

Can anyone tell me who has the best lavenders? Or perhaps has been working with them the longest? I really want to make sure I'm getting some quality birds when I order them. I know lots of people on the breeders directory on ABC have them, I just want to know who has the best and has been working toward getting them approved by the APA.

Can anyone tell me who has the best lavenders? Or perhaps has been working with them the longest? I really want to make sure I'm getting some quality birds when I order them. I know lots of people on the breeders directory on ABC have them, I just want to know who has the best and has been working toward getting them approved by the APA.

Paul Smith and Jean Ribbeck Co-chair the breeder team for the acceptance of self blue, aka lavender.

Back
Top Bottom