Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

You'll find that if they could be traced back you would find just about every LF black, blue, buff, white, lavender and others came from the ones I "originally" (as you said) created. But keep in mind when someone breeds them the offspring are now their line. They may be better and may be worse than the parent stock and too often fanciers claim birds are someone's line when they are one or more generations removed. Others may have done some outcrosses and crossbreeding and that breeding (good or bad) is something that can only be credited to the breeder that did it.
smile.png
That makes sense and I completely understand. She made it sound like she got her breeders from Fowl Stuff, so I just sent her a message asking for clarification on how many generations she's been breeding them since getting chicks from you. So basically I thought she bought chicks directly from you. I guess I'll know when she gets back to me.

Cute chicks! I know you're thrilled to get started with them. :)

Just for historical accuracy and to give credit where credit is due, Harry Shaffer also created his own line of lavenders, aka self-blue, at about the same time that John Blehm and Michael Muenks were working on their line. Those lines have crossed so much in the past years, that it would be hard to identify either one as the progenitor of all self-blues in the Ameraucana breed.

Most of the LF and bantam breeds were developed concurrently by many people across the Mid-West..and California..in the early years of the breed. The first bantams to actually be accepted into the ABA were whites and wheatens, which, if I remember my history correctly, were then bred up to standard size - mostly by Jerry Segler, Mike Gilbert, and Don Cable. (Although it may have been the other way around - LF bred down into bantams - my brain is dead tonight and I can't remember - but either way, it was whites and wheatens that were first developed) :)
Thanks for the info and history! :)

Interesting... from what I read in the archives, John Fugate and Mike Gilbert worked on Buff originally... though Mr. Brazelton had worked previously on White and Buff both...

Last edited:
Interesting... from what I read in the archives, John Fugate and Mike Gilbert worked on Buff originally... though Mr. Brazelton had worked previously on White and Buff both...

And lets not forget Don Cable - he and Mike Gilbert were the original founders of the Ameraucana Bantam Club, which later became the Ameraucana Breeders Club and is still going strong today - nearly 40 years later.

For anyone wanting to research the history of the Ameraucana, you can read what happened, as it happened, by researching the archives on the ABC website, where past bulletins - even going back to the very first one published - are published. With the exception of an 11 year span of missing bulletins, it is an interesting delve into the real history of the breed and the people who worked with them from the beginning.

http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/archives.html

Jen,

You have some of that correct. John/Jack Fugate worked on bantam buff, but he and others were ready to settle on "black tailed buff" since they weren't able to eliminate the black tails. The standard was already written for "buff" so Mike Gilbert and I started from scratch creating them first. Ralph Brazelton bred bantam white and silver Easter Eggers and that history is documented also.
I know there is a movement to rewrite some the Ameraucana history by some that weren't there as it was happening. Much of the history is recorded in our Ameraucana Handbook, by Mike...and he lived it.

Last edited:
For the real story check out the FAQ page on our Ameraucana site.
Don Cable was a huge part of the AM's being recognized by the APA and this part about the ABA and APA being wrong is....well wrong. History is history, not the second clubs opinion...which is twisted to meet their interpretation. The ABC is working with the APA Standard Committee on the Self Blue /Lavender color. They were the only ones interested in going through the process. The APA does not care what the Self blues are called in general conversation, but in technical terms the APA and ABA Standards will be calling them Self Blue. Walt Leonard Chairman of the APA Standard Committee

Don Cable was a huge part of the AM's being recognized by the APA...
That part of your post is true, if AM's is supposed to mean Ameraucanas. Without Don our breed club and maybe accepted breed would probably not exist. He was not a breeder though that created the breed or any varieties, as some are trying to imply. Jerry, Mike, Wayne and I did that.

The truth matters, but that doesn't halt the insinuations.
If anyone has questions about the club and breed's history, just join us and you'll receive the Ameraucana Handbook I mentioned that will answer many of them. Of course Alliance members also have many other resources available to them and dues start at just $10 per year!
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom