Lavender Ameraucana Rooster - Puget Sound Area

AussiePie

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 9, 2012
Snohomish, WA
I am needing to re-home a very handsome Ameraucana Rooster. He over-all has been a good rooster, but we are having some issues that are becoming more difficult to handle. He is about 9 months old, and I hatched him from sourced eggs.

The good:
Non-aggressive with humans (though not terribly eager for contact).
Good to his hatch-mate pullets (always amazed with his generosity when observing them free-range).
Seems to only crow in the morning (think he's stressed right now, so has started a little earlier and goes on to mid-morning).
Attractive.
Carries slow feathering gene, so should be easier to feather sex his off spring.

The bad:
Is very aggressive towards 2 older pullets. Initially started when one was molting, and he injured her very badly. She had been isolated to heal up for about 2 months. I was able to return her to the rest of the flock without any problems, but he is still very vigilant and will not leave her alone. He has now started attacking my other older Wyandotte that had previously been top of pecking order. They are now terrified, and it takes a lot of coaxing them to do any sort of natural chicken behavior (would hide under a bush or fern or in the coop all day if allowed... even though rooster has had no access to them for a week).

I know it is hard to re-home a rooster with any sort of problems... but I am wondering if someone with more experience or with a different set up could make it work.

He is very pretty, so it seems a shame to eat him, but understand if that's how things work out.

For pick-up or drop off only. I live in the Snohomish area, but I don't mind driving him south to Seattle, or North to Mt. Vernon.

I WISH we were closer! I would LOVE to take him. I pride myself with taking on the challenged chickens. This goes along with the dudes with a tude, sassy girls and chickens with special needs. I have a special place in my heart and lots of patience for "trouble" chickens. Lol
I'm always on the look out for those in need of therapy, as I like to view it. I've been successful in turning around quite a few "bad boys." Would you possibly be willing to ship him? If not, I wish you the BEST in re-homing him. I would hate for him to end up in the wrong hands. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Patches

Thanks for the reply. One of the feed stores I frequent helped me out and took him in. I know it still leaves some chance to who will be interested, but the store is right by the fair grounds, and they do a quite a bit to partner with the local 4-h clubs... so I am hopeful. I am hoping to stop by this weekend to pick-up food and see if he has been picked up. Not 100% ideal, but I had a time crunch (was traveling last weekend, and my neighbor who typically helps me out was not comfortable with managing the yard rotation). It is just a relief for everyone to have him out of the yard... 2 chickens that had not laid in many months just started laying again.

Thanks again for your interest, I would have loved to ship him your way if that wasn't such a scary process.

Thanks for the reply.  One of the feed stores I frequent helped me out and took him in.  I know it still leaves some chance to who will be interested, but the store is right by the fair grounds, and they do a quite a bit to partner with the local 4-h clubs... so I am hopeful.  I am hoping to stop by this weekend to pick-up food and see if he has been picked up.  Not 100% ideal, but I  had a time crunch (was traveling last weekend, and my neighbor who typically helps me out was not comfortable with managing the yard rotation).  It is just a relief for everyone to have him out of the yard... 2 chickens that had not laid in many months just started laying again.

Thanks again for your interest, I would have loved to ship him your way if that wasn't such a scary process.
It's really easier than you think and they ship priority so it's only a day or 2. If he doesn't get homed please consider it. I'll pay the shipping.

Back
Top Bottom