Lavender and Buff Parents but black chicks?

smcdermott

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Central Fl
Lavender Orpington Roo / (12) Buff Orpington Hen eggs, (3) barred rock Hen eggs

All babies basicly came out black??????? Just now, at 2 weeks old there are 2 that are showing some orange coloring on the back. Any ideas???

Lavender is a recessive dilution gene. Think of Lavender as a coat of paint covering up a black bird underneath. Unless you are breeding Lav x Lav, you will not get offspring with any Lavender coloration. Lav x other color is, physically, going to be the same as breeding Black x other color. However, all offspring will carry Lavender; that means that if you bred them to another carrier (e.g. a sibling in this case) or another Lav (e.g. the father) they will produce between 25-75% Lavender offspring, depending on which breeding is used.

(Lav) Black x most colors often results in Black or majority Black offspring, since Black (E/E typically) tends to be quite dominant. However, Buff puts up a lot of fight; expect to see the Lav/Buff cross birds with a lot of Buff on the head, neck, breast, with more and more black coming in on the back half of the bird.

Lav male x Barred female is actually a Sex-Linked cross. Males will be heterozygous Barred (white dot on young chick's head) and females will be Black carrying Lav (no white dot on head).

Last edited:
I just traded my lavender rooster for a Splash Orpington. Does that have the same base black if it mates with my buffs?

Will I only be able to mate him with my Splash Hen?
I do also still have 2 Lavender hens.

So sorry, the breeding is all new to me.

Will I only be able to mate him with my Splash Hen?
I do also still have 2 Lavender hens.

So sorry, the breeding is all new to me.
He is not a good quality Splash, with all that gold/yellow leakage. He is Splash, so he's got two copies of the dominant Black/Blue/Splash gene. He will pass one copy to every single one of his chicks, making them Blue. Since he isn't solid splash, none of his chicks will be solid colored either.
Lavender and BBS birds should not be bred together.

He is not a good quality Splash, with all that gold/yellow leakage. He is Splash, so he's got two copies of the dominant Black/Blue/Splash gene. He will pass one copy to every single one of his chicks, making them Blue. Since he isn't solid splash, none of his chicks will be solid colored either.
Lavender and BBS birds should not be bred together.

x2

This is the Splash Hen that I got from the same people to breed with him. I just both of them recently which is why they are both still in quarantine.
I see some yellow in her also like you were talking about.

Back
Top Bottom