1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lavender cuckoo easter egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jerryse, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    [​IMG]
    Here isa pic of a lavender cuckoo easter that I have.One of a kind so far.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    WOW, how did THAT happen?

Beautiful boy!

3. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have one that looks just like that! Except he/she has fuzzier cheeks.

[​IMG]

This picture was from a couple of weeks ago so his/her cheeks aren't as fuzzy yet there (#9)

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    So cute!!

5. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    It came out of my lav AM project.I am trying to get a flock of lav cuckoo hens so when mated to a lav roo I can cull the barred roosters at day old.I plan to do this for black/blue also.Feed prices are high and I do not wish to feed a lot of young roosters

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Very pretty looking bird. [​IMG]

We eat all the roos we grow up. I have tried to sell them on Craigs List but didn't have many takers. We do hatch and grow several hundred a year so eating them all has become a challenge but our food is better than store bought so we try and fill the freezer. Between that and a garden we feel we are getting closer to self sufficient and away from something someone else can control us with, like gas and grocery prices.

I am not sure if I could eat pretty roos that look like that though! It would be hard! I find I have a lot of very beautiful roos running around the farm! LOL

2 people like this.
  7. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    I eat a lot of my roosters also.Last october I butchered 99 in 2 days.Yes I do like mine better than store bought as they have less fat.I can only eat so many in a year and hope to cut down on the numbers.Day old roosters at the sale barn will be cheap or free but at least I will not have to feed them all.

8. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    So I need some help figuring out the likelyhood of me hatching these out.

I have a black cuckoo EE rooster who is from a golden cuckoo maran hen x lavender ameraucana roo, so he is also split for lavender I am assuming as he would have gotten the gene from his daddy.

Then I have two black split for lavender Ameraucana hens who have just begun to lay.

If I cross them, help me figure out what I will get?

I am assuming they will all get the lavender gene, some may even hatch out lavender cuckoo but some may be split for lavender?
    Does the same go for the cuckoo gene? Will they all be cuckoo? All carry it?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    25% should be pure for lavender half of that should be lavender cuckoo.Due to the sex linked nature of cuckoo in this case 75% of your cockerels will be cuckoo.

10. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    So how well does the auto-sexing show up on teh lavender birds? I was afraid the color would be so light on chicks that it would not be very accurate. Can anybody produce chick pictures of lavender cuckoo males and females? I searched, but couldn't find any of any breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by