Lavender lacing?

Victor_q

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
I have wanted to start a project to create lavender lacing with silver sebrights and self blue ( lavender oegb). Is it possible? Looking at lavender genetics I should be able to get a lavender laced bird ( not to the breed standard of either parent) by breeding two heterozygous siblings from the f1 gen right ? What genes would get in my way?

@The Moonshiner is good with the lavender part
@ColtHandorf should be pretty good with the lacing part I think.

I think the hardest part would be getting a bird that has both the genes for decent lacing and 2 lavender genes. You could get it in 2 generations, or it could take longer. Just depends how many you hatch
That’s what I thought but I was looking through other threads here and they were talking about how the silver gene would get in the way and the bird may just be lavender after two generations. Any thoughts? Still new top genetics

I have wanted to start a project to create lavender lacing with silver sebrights and self blue ( lavender oegb). Is it possible? Looking at lavender genetics I should be able to get a lavender laced bird ( not to the breed standard of either parent) by breeding two heterozygous siblings from the f1 gen right ? What genes would get in my way?
Lavender Sebrights have been produced before(Goole Search)

As with any genetic project you need to know the genetics behind them.

Gold Laced Sebright are: ER/ER, Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg-Db/Db, Co/Co, s+/s+, Lav+/Lav+

Self Blue OEGB, are: E/E, likely Ml/Ml, pg+/pg+, db+/db+, co+/co+, s+/s+, lav/lav

F1s should be E/ER, Ml/Ml-Pg/pg-Db/db+, Co/co+, s+/s+, Lav+/lav

You can input that on the calculator and calculate your chances of obtaining ER/ER, Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg-Db/Db, Co/Co, s+/s+, lav/lav

http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

Lavender Sebrights have been produced before(Goole Search)

As with any genetic project you need to know the genetics behind them.

Gold Laced Sebright are: ER/ER, Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg-Db/Db, Co/Co, s+/s+, Lav+/Lav+

Self Blue OEGB, are: E/E, likely Ml/Ml, pg+/pg+, db+/db+, co+/co+, s+/s+, lav/lav

F1s should be E/ER, Ml/Ml-Pg/pg-Db/db+, Co/co+, s+/s+, Lav+/lav

You can input that on the calculator and calculate your chances of obtaining ER/ER, Ml/Ml-Pg/Pg-Db/Db, Co/Co, s+/s+, lav/lav

http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html
I have actually spoken to someone who created lavender sebrights and they’ve told me that that’s how it’s done so I’m gonna try. I’d love to see more photos of them because there’s not that many.

How is done?
The person I spoke to created this bird in Australia. They didn’t specify but said the lavender came from three other breeds and it took them about 5 years but I suspect I can do it faster

Attachments

• 9C40990A-0884-4AF4-AE18-CEDCF6D4DCD8.jpeg
    9C40990A-0884-4AF4-AE18-CEDCF6D4DCD8.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 15
One advantage you have is that Pg and Ml are linked on the same chromosome. Co will segregate separate. I don't know which chromosome has Lavender. Presuming there is no linkage involving Pg, you should be able to do this with 2 generations hatching a few hundred chicks or in 3 or 4 generations hatching about 250 chicks total.

One huge caution, when dealing with laced genetics there are often hidden feather color genes that don't show up until an outside cross. You are making such a cross and may see anything from Mahogany to speckles to funky looking yellow birds in the F2.

One advantage you have is that Pg and Ml are linked on the same chromosome. Co will segregate separate. I don't know which chromosome has Lavender. Presuming there is no linkage involving Pg, you should be able to do this with 2 generations hatching a few hundred chicks or in 3 or 4 generations hatching about 250 chicks total.

One huge caution, when dealing with laced genetics there are often hidden feather color genes that don't show up until an outside cross. You are making such a cross and may see anything from Mahogany to speckles to funky looking yellow birds in the F2.
I’ve never understood the chick hatching total in theory couldn’t I just hatch enough eggs to get a pair of f1 and then breed those ? (Forgive me for my ignorance). And also thank you that will definitely save me from a google rabbit hole in the future but I’m also curious why such a thing would happen with pure birds ?

Back
Top Bottom