Lavender lacing?

I’ve never understood the chick hatching total in theory couldn’t I just hatch enough eggs to get a pair of f1 and then breed those ?

F1s are really of no interest here. You need to hatch enough F2s to try to get Lavender Laced... So in order to increase the chance you will need to hatch alot and alot of hatching eggs would require many F1 breeding pairs

I have wanted to start a project to create lavender lacing with silver sebrights and self blue ( lavender oegb). Is it possible? Looking at lavender genetics I should be able to get a lavender laced bird ( not to the breed standard of either parent) by breeding two heterozygous siblings from the f1 gen right ? What genes would get in my way?
It is in theory doable. Just takes a lot of breeding to get the birds you want. Comb type is going to be as obnoxious as the color with an outcross to a single combed bird.

Initial Pairing and Offspring:
1669650815800.png
1669650845820.png

Save that pullet and breed back to her father. According to the calculator, statistically, out of 128 chicks you should get one pullet and one cockerel that are correctly laced and also carry Lavender. You'd have to test breed each SL bird to another to determine if they do or do not carry Lavender.
1669651070999.png

For the record you'll get about a bajillion genetic variations on a black bird plus some black individuals with silver patterning like spangling/half-spangled, etc. Only test breed the "perfectly" laced birds.

Not to confuse the issue, but good pattern also requires slow feathering. Since Sebrights have good patterning, they will contribute the right gene. It is sex-linked. Since your starting point is with a Silver Laced Sebright male, you can easily recover slow feathering in the F2.

I disagree with Colthandorf re numbers, I think you will need to hatch at least 250 chicks to get a male and female with excellent lacing, lavender, and slow feathering. I always like to err on the side of caution, so target hatching 500 chicks and that way you double the chances of achieving the desired result. Remember that rose comb is an inversion on chromosome 7 combined with straight comb on chromosome 1. This is easily sorted out by selecting the birds that show a nearly perfect rose comb at a year old.

This is a very viable starting plan so don't hesitate.

I disagree with Colthandorf re numbers,
I don't do math, so feel free. I merely repeated what the algorithm stated on the calculator.
1669657053152.png

I know that in creating Blue SIlver-laced English Orpingtons, I got a handful of chicks hatched in the F2 generation that were perfectly laced. According to the calculator I needed to hatch a minimum of 64.

Of course you should always hatch as many as you can.
Moira - Let's not count our poultry.gif

Lavender Silver Laced will hardly have any contrast...
I don't do math, so feel free. I merely repeated what the algorithm stated on the calculator.
View attachment 3335097

I know that in creating Blue SIlver-laced English Orpingtons, I got a handful of chicks hatched in the F2 generation that were perfectly laced. According to the calculator I needed to hatch a minimum of 64.

Of course you should always hatch as many as you can.

It's true, the Calculator while a very powerful tool for learning it's not perfect and to obtain perfect lacing you don't need 128 nor 256 numbers. I very much suspect that the OP should be able to see good pattern on a very good F2 Hatch of about 60 eggs.

Good lacing really does not require Slow feathering(As in Barred Rock type of slow feathering).

Lavender Silver Laced will hardly have any contrast...
What's your point? I have seen Isabel Lavender-laced (Gold-laced w/ Lavender) and Lavender Silver-laced English Orpingtons. They were equally attractive. The OP stated they wanted to use a Silver-laced Sebright and Self-blue (Lavender) OEGB.

What's your point? I have seen Isabel Lavender-laced (Gold-laced w/ Lavender) and Lavender Silver-laced English Orpingtons. They were equally attractive. The OP stated they wanted to use a Silver-laced Sebright and Self-blue (Lavender) OEGB.
I believe the OP meant Lavender Laced based on Gold and not Silver. It's a 50/50 chance that his line of Lavender OEGB is gold based.

Victor_q

questions if Silver will get on the way.

I interpreted that as if Victor wanted to have gold instead.
No, somewhere they read that breeding Lavender and SIlver-laced together would result in a bird that was solid Lavender with no Silver. Unless the person didn't breed the laced birds together, I'm not sure how that would be possible.

Back
Top Bottom