Lavender Orpington feathers

My self blue OEGB hen molted in nicer than normal during her last molt. Recently I've noticed some blonde lacing on her hackles. She's never had this before. I'm the first to admit that I'm about 5ft nothing, short of actually grasping this genetics stuff, but why am I just now seeing this and I wonder what's making her feathers look better. Don't get me wrong, they don't look great, but her feathers have been worse. I guess that could possibly be chalked up to feed or something nutritional. I believe she was free ranging during her molt last time. I'm certainly not trying to hijack this thread but I remember OP being interested in all of this stuff. I took a picture of Willow's hackles showing the other color. Is she no longer considered self blue or Lav or was she ever?

Here's a picture showing what I'm talking about with Willow's hackles. Could the sun bleach the edges of feathers more since they're much more thin? I really don't know when this happened but I noticed it a couple of months ago. Willow is just over 2 years old.
20220529_091301.jpg

Just a typical raggedy ole shredded up lav. They're like the overused swiffers of the chicken world. Completely normal.
probably my favorite way anyone has described it 🤣

My self blue OEGB hen molted in nicer than normal during her last molt. Recently I've noticed some blonde lacing on her hackles. She's never had this before. I'm the first to admit that I'm about 5ft nothing, short of actually grasping this genetics stuff, but why am I just now seeing this and I wonder what's making her feathers look better. Don't get me wrong, they don't look great, but her feathers have been worse. I guess that could possibly be chalked up to feed or something nutritional. I believe she was free ranging during her molt last time. I'm certainly not trying to hijack this thread but I remember OP being interested in all of this stuff. I took a picture of Willow's hackles showing the other color. Is she no longer considered self blue or Lav or was she ever?
totally ok! I don't mind the discussing. I'm very interested in seeing other peoples' chickens and how they're affected. You have a very pretty hen <3

Here's a picture showing what I'm talking about with Willow's hackles. Could the sun bleach the edges of feathers more since they're much more thin? I really don't know when this happened but I noticed it a couple of months ago. Willow is just over 2 years old.
View attachment 3140466
Yes the sun can bleach them, but some lavenders leak gold I’m told from some of the Ameraucana breeders that evaluated my birds. They both have yellowy feathers in their hackles and saddles that go beyond what you have so I’d guess yours may be bleaching from the sun ☀️

Yes the sun can bleach them, but some lavenders leak gold I’m told from some of the Ameraucana breeders that evaluated my birds. They both have yellowy feathers in their hackles and saddles that go beyond what you have so I’d guess yours may be bleaching from the sun ☀️
This is really interesting! I knew that blue could show leakage. My blue Dutch Bantam hen has some gold hackles (she also has gypsy face) but I didn't know that self blue/Lavender would show anything other than the steel blue color. Thank you for clarifying that. Since Willow is under a covered run and hasn't free ranged since early Feb. Of course she molted late 2021,but then only free ranged about an hour or two a day. I do wonder if it's leakage, but the sun can shine in through the sides of the run so bleaching is a possibility. Thanks again! I love this avian genetics stuff and hope to someday have a better grasp on it.

One more quick question @Overo Mare with Rona being Mottled Lavender, do she carry the wing patch gene? Seems like most Mottled lavs I see look nice. So I'm either not seeing many of them or something with the Mottled minimizes the wing patch gene. Then again, there's a chance that I am just completely in lala land and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about ☺️

This is really interesting! I knew that blue could show leakage. My blue Dutch Bantam hen has some gold hackles (she also has gypsy face) but I didn't know that self blue/Lavender would show anything other than the steel blue color. Thank you for clarifying that. Since Willow is under a covered run and hasn't free ranged since early Feb. Of course she molted late 2021,but then only free ranged about an hour or two a day. I do wonder if it's leakage, but the sun can shine in through the sides of the run so bleaching is a possibility. Thanks again! I love this avian genetics stuff and hope to someday have a better grasp on it.

One more quick question @Overo Mare with Rona being Mottled Lavender, do she carry the wing patch gene? Seems like most Mottled lavs I see look nice. So I'm either not seeing many of them or something with the Mottled minimizes the wing patch gene. Then again, there's a chance that I am just completely in lala land and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about ☺️
She's actually blue, so not that I'm aware of.

That's a great question for @The Moonshiner though!

Back
Top Bottom