Lavender Orpington project ....

We are getting a few chicks on Thursday!! Will post pictures once we get them
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks both she and oprah are 8 mths and still very little pale combs. Is this typical

I figured since I derailed the thread I 'd better get in here and answer you, Patient Lady!!

I have had the girls stay very immature and pale in the comb until about 2 weeks prior to laying. Generally the change happens so quickly I've been caught by surprise.

It seems the later they are maturing in the comb and face, the better the comb turns out: smaller and tighter instead of the inappropriately large comb the early project birds have had.

ETA: Braclin- LOVE the look of the Mottled Lav!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine are almost the size of BBS Orp eggs but not quite and my BBS lay large eggs. Some girls are laying eggs bigger than others.

Quote:
Full egg size can be best assessed after the hen is over a year old. The first year eggs are typically small-medium as orp pullet eggs usually are. Second year and later eggs are the same as my other orpingtons, more in the large range and some lay extra large eggs, depending on the hen.

Quote:
It will not likely create blue, unless there is a hidden color. The odds are pretty slim though. IMO I would not breed white to black, as it can make a mess of the skin color (white birds with dark shanks). Working with white depends on if your birds are dominant or recessive. Dominant white to an extended black bird should produce all white babies. Recessive white can work similar to the lav gene - first generation will be black split. Second generation should produce approx 25% black, 50% black split and 25% white.

Quote:
Full egg size can be best assessed after the hen is over a year old. The first year eggs are typically small-medium as orp pullet eggs usually are. Second year and later eggs are the same as my other orpingtons, more in the large range and some lay extra large eggs, depending on the hen.

Hi,
By the end of the second year isn't egg production starting to drop off, time to replace the hen?
Thanks,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom