Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
That's what I questioned him about, but he was "certain" that the blue would clear by the ticking. I didn't think that was right.
thumbsup.gif

I also would never ever breed a Lav back into Blue Orps. That to me is so wrong. As my Lavender project breeding progress the Lavs go back onto good black Orps the fretting disappears and a truer Lav color arises. You just have to know who to keep and who to cull out color wise and type wise.

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think they're from a lav X black breeding. I'll have to double check.

I only have lav and blacks. So you have a lav and three little splits. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

It's in the packing kids, I'm telling you. These babies were sent form KY to AK. packed snug as a bug in a rug. Congrats!!!!!!

I have to agree that packing makes all the difference. It's so hard to get good lines up here, and expensive, so we appreciate anyone who takes the time to pack well. Kudos! (and I'm being a bit selfish in knowing there's another line of lavs up here to work with...
wink.png
)

Here is any updated picture of my blended little family. I just love the looks of these three little guys. Lacey (serama) is such a good mother.
big_smile.png
They are a couple of weeks old now.

49849_dsc03838.jpg

OH, what a cute picture! Those babies are about as big as their mini-mom!
gig.gif

Here are some of my little ones .... I have 5, of which 2 are Lavender and 3 black.

31282_dscf0032.jpg

This one is my only hope for a girl .....

31282_dscf0033.jpg

I had to have a good laugh at my roosters expense today. He is still molting and has now lost all of his tail feathers. He looks like he could be a rumpless lav orp.
lau.gif
I would post pics but just dont think I could do that to my boy.
tongue.png

Kathy - That a nice looking black.
smile.png
I am keeping a black pullet back from my last hatch a few weeks ago to add to the flock down the road.

Quote:
My older rooster is looking that way. Terrible to post a pic of him he looks horrible!!! lol

I hope he doesn't get a complex, trying to be "big" man on campus but running around with no tail.
lau.gif
BTW - he is the one I got from you earlier this year.
big_smile.png

My 2 lavs are 12 weeks old now... any thoughts on gender? I keep waffling.......
splitlav-lavenderOrp12weeks9-22-201011-28-37AM.jpg

lavOrp12weeksunk9-22-201011-28-28AM.jpg

This is the split-lav pullet and roo... so obvious... but I'm still not sure on the lavender.
Splitlavpulletroolavenderorpunk12weeks9-22-201011-29-10AM.jpg

I'm not seeing the normal shiny feathers that roos get...
hu.gif

Added a couple more...
Lavenderorpington12weeks9-22-201011-29-23AM.jpg

Is the "barring" in the feathers what is referred to as "fretting"? It's a new term for me...
smile.png

Fretting9-22-201011-30-12AM.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

My 2 lavs are 12 weeks old now... any thoughts on gender? I keep waffling.......
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k...lav-lavenderOrp12weeks9-22-201011-28-37AM.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/vyancey/Chickens/lavOrp12weeksunk9-22-201011-28-28AM.jpg

This is the split-lav pullet and roo... so obvious... but I'm still not sure on the lavender.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k...olavenderorpunk12weeks9-22-201011-29-10AM.jpg

I'm not seeing the normal shiny feathers that roos get...
hu.gif

The lav is a cockerel. The Black Orps don't seem to have the shiny green sheen on their tail feathers. Anyone know the APA judges opinion on that?​

Back
Top Bottom