Lavender Orpington project ....

Okay stupid question time-- my babies are 17 weeks old. Two have beautiful large combs and wattles and one has a small comb and wattle. All of them are bright red. And all are making the classic clucking noises. The question is 1) have I got two males and a female or all female? and 2) does the bright red indicate they should be producing eggs soon?
Thanks friends.

Pictures might help. Do you have any of them?

No actually she is Lavender Splash, as we all know genetics don't always follow rules..there's sports and quirks and sometimes they breed true.... after all this is how new colors are created right ?

I wasn't really asking for an opinion but thanks for offering it !

I've been raising BBS for a very long time, and have had plenty of birds that look just like that, without ever introducing a lavender bird. So you are telling me I have had "lavender splash" all along?

No actually she is Lavender Splash, as we all know genetics don't always follow rules..there's sports and quirks and sometimes they breed true.... after all this is how new colors are created right ?
I wasn't really asking for an opinion but thanks for offering it !

I have a girl just like that that came from Lavender Orpington eggs two hatched Lavender and one hatched splash just like that I will take a picture later today of her and post it here.

It appears you have an extra melanistic gene. The blue gene lightens up lavender. The ones I have had that have one blue gene are lighter than the normal lavender. The ones that have two blue genes and two lavender genes hatch white and are even a light shade of lavender. Yours appears to be UK type and may have something added to it. The legs appear dark so probably not the mottled gene. Have fun with them.

Sorry, forgot to add mine are silver based birds yours may be something else. Henk69 the fellow who created the chicken calculator has a vast knowledge of this gene and he is the one to ask what is going on.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get some English Lavender Orps or English Lavender split Orps? This is probably the best place to find some since it is dedicated specifically to Lavs, so sorry if this isn't posted in the right place. I have 18 American Lavender Orp eggs set to come to me in the next few months and have contacted juststruttin for some 50% English 50% American Lavender splits and would love to add more English blood to these. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, in advance!!!

Back
Top Bottom