Lavender Orpington Shredder Gene Help

@KingB that is something I wish I could do, and someday I probably will. Like I said though, I'm transferring colleges at the end of the summer, and have neither the time nor the money currently for such a project. I'm really just looking for any way to decrease the ratty appearance of my current birds' feathers for a county fair.
Sorry. After some research I understand what you're talking about.
I'm certainly not an expert like you are. I'm sorry if I came across as blunt/rude.
I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you. I think free ranging hens can actually improve their all round looks due to the foraging diet but I guess that's what you're doing anyway.

Good luck at the county fair!!

Sorry. After some research I understand what you're talking about.
I'm certainly not an expert like you are. I'm sorry if I came across as blunt/rude.
I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you. I think free ranging hens can actually improve their all round looks due to the foraging diet but I guess that's what you're doing anyway.

Good luck at the county fair!!
Thanks, and no worries, you did not come across as blunt or rude! My chickens aren't currently free range (too many predators here) but I do have a small movable enclosure I could put those three in during the day and rotate around the yard or pasture. Thanks for the idea!

As the issue is genetic and not dietary, I don't believe their diet/nutritional intake is going to lessen or rectify the situation.
I know it's genetic, but I'm wondering if it is a genetically linked metabolic disorder. An example of such a disease in humans would be familial hypercholesterolemia (inherited high cholesterol). This is a disease that if misunderstood, may look like it is a genetic defect of the heart, however it is actually the way the body metabolizes cholesterol, and may be managed by proper dietary management. If this is the case with the "shredder" gene, then increasing or decreasing some nutrient, most likely one that deals with feather production, will help manage the issue. However, if it is a genetic mutation of the actual feather structure, nothing can be done except breeding birds without it. I thought maybe someone had experimented with this, but so far it doesn't look like anyone has. I might try it and let everyone know how it goes. There is a good chance that this is a mutation of the feather structure, but it'll be interesting to know for sure!

I’ve have one lavender Orpington chick that is now eight weeks old. I was also surprised about the state of the feathers. Currently they look delicate and fairy like with a crystal blue color, but I also wonder how to help her (she’s looking like a pullet at this point) not get too ratty looking. I’ve no intention of hatching chicks from her, but worry whether this means she will be ‘delicate’ in other ways. I’ve been thinking I’ll need to keep her in a drier, cleaner run than the others and I’m trying to figure out how she’d be in with my silkies. I fear she’ll be way way bigger and so that might not work. I’ve got some frizzle Polish chicks, I think will also need some protective housing and run space and maybe she can hang with them.

So I guess I have a similar question to to yours about how to keep the feathers from looking really bad - as much for her sake as for mine.

🤷🏻‍♀️

Hoping for some kind of feedback from those with previous experience with the shredded feathers.

The feathers will naturally shred some during normal chicken activities like dust bathing. If you don't have a rooster breeding her her feathers will stay in much better condition.

Thanks for your reply 😊

I did search a bit more after my post and saw pictures of adult hens that look in pretty good shape except for the split feathers so I’m a little less concerned now. They just look sooo delicate on my eight week old chick, I was worried about what would happen as she matures, but it looks like they stay about the same. 🤗

How many feathers are we talking? Poultry central advises pulling out broken feathers at least 8 weeks before a show to allow time to grow back. Do you have time? Are there too many? Diminishing returns if there are a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom