Lavender Orpington vs. Blue Australorp?

Lavender variety has a gene causing the fraying of feathers.

Blue variety has lacing. Even with spuddenly's last photo if you look close will see a dark edge on the blue feathers on chest of bird. Regardless that edging/lacing should be more pronounced and on every feather it is still present. Lavender will never have any lacing.

So is it mostly just noticable in the tails?
Shredded feathers are usually noticeable in the hackle and saddle feathers too. Photos below are of two different hens.
20211205_152635~5.jpg

20211205_154925~3.jpg

@dorklandresident , though I've been very happy with my friendly, sweet-natured and intelligent $1.99 lav orp straight runs (much friendlier than my buff orps), your hens are Very beautiful. If I wanted quality lav orps, I would definitely be interested in the breeder where you got yours.

@BirdsBeesTrees , i'm very surprised that None of the chicks in photo you posted on November 2 were lavender orpingtons. Do all of your blue pullets have straight combs? In addition to lavender orpingtons, i also have blue Australorps and blue Wyandottes. All are blue-laced, but they are different in body type and feathering, & of course Wyandottes have rose combs. Though you've now ruled out lav orps, I am curious if you know what breed(s) you do have.

Shredded feathers are usually noticeable in the hackle and saddle feathers too. Photos below are of two different hens.
View attachment 2937887
View attachment 2937888

@dorklandresident , though I've been very happy with my friendly, sweet-natured and intelligent $1.99 lav orp straight runs (much friendlier than my buff orps), your hens are Very beautiful. If I wanted quality lav orps, I would definitely be interested in the breeder where you got yours.

@BirdsBeesTrees , i'm very surprised that None of the chicks in photo you posted on November 2 were lavender orpingtons. Do all of your blue pullets have straight combs? In addition to lavender orpingtons, i also have blue Australorps and blue Wyandottes. All are blue-laced, but they are different in body type and feathering, & of course Wyandottes have rose combs. Though you've now ruled out lav orps, I am curious if you know what breed(s) you do have.
Thank you for posting those pictures. I don't see any of those feather on my hens. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't matter since I am not breeding or showing them. I do LOVE their temperament. Very sweet and docile. A little bit dumb though compared to other chickens I have had.

Back
Top Bottom