Lavender orpington with yellow legs and beak

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by druzana, Sep 12, 2014.

1. druzana

druzana New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    Hi, I hatched 10 lavs from eggs I purchased online. All chicks were light grey with dark legs and beaks except one. He was mostly yellow, white legs and beak, with grey spot on head and back. Person I purchased from said he is a white mutant? and will carry the lavender gene. He is now 4 months, pretty bird but a darker grey than my lavs and still very light yellow legs and beak. Does anyone know if it's true he would carry the lav gene or should I cut him from my flock?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, if you want to breed Orpingtons, you don't want a bird with yellow skin/legs in the gene pool. Orpingtons have white skin and it's hard to get rid of yellow skin. The problem is that the others may carry the gene and not show it. I had that issue with BBS Orps from Sandhill Preservation. The parents had proper slate legs and white skin, but on occasion, a yellow legged chick would pop out of a hatch.

As far as the "white mutant" statement, never heard that one before. Obviously, it didn't end up white.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Speckled hen. If your aim is to breed pure Lavender Orpingtons, you need to remove this "mutant" from the flock so he won't breed those undesired characteristics into the next generation.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3 on this advice.

6. druzana

druzana New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    Thanks for all reply's. I was afraid I might have to get rid of him, he is a really nice bird.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Getting rid of him or not is a personal management decision, but I agree he isn't breeding stock for pure bred birds. Breed the best to the best, and he's not the best.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with Rachel here. You could certainly keep him as a free range flock rooster with some layers if you really like him, but to breed from him to propagate Lavender Orpingtons is not what you'd want to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by