Lavender Orpingtons~ Pullet or Cockerel

Olde South Coop

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Kernersville, NC
I'm picking up the two lighter Lavender Orpingtons in a couple of days. The lady said they are 5 or 6 weeks old. Decided not to get the darker one because I thought it might be a cockerel. Did I make the right decision? Any thoughts on the lighter two being pullets? Hoping for the best.....

Yes, the dark one is definitely a cockerel. Out of the pale ones, the one in the foreground looks like a probable pullet, and the one behind I am not 100% sure on, it looks like it might be a slower developing male. In the second pic it looks like a girl but in the first pic, in profile, you can see the leader spikes of its comb standing up a little bit too far for a girl of 5 or 6 weeks, in my opinion.

Best wishes.

Yes, the dark one is definitely a cockerel. Out of the pale ones, the one in the foreground looks like a probable pullet, and the one behind I am not 100% sure on, it looks like it might be a slower developing male. In the second pic it looks like a girl but in the first pic, in profile, you can see the leader spikes of its comb standing up a little bit too far for a girl of 5 or 6 weeks, in my opinion.

Best wishes.
Agreed

Brought them home today, here are better pictures.

The lady told me they were about 5 weeks old and that the larger one probably hatched first. The smaller one is in the pink band. They still look like pullets to me at this point.

Best wishes.
x2

Orpingtons don't tend to be one of the faster developing chooks, not that I've seen anyway, so development of the comb at this age I still consider likely male since that's true for pretty much all breeds with very few exceptions.

I guess we'll know for sure in future. At the moment I'm still thinking one is a male.

Best wishes with them.

Good luck with that, fingers crossed they stay looking like pullets. Thanks for the updates, it's good to know how things turn out, learn some more. :D

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom