lavender orpingtons

They just hatched out the day after Thanksgiving just lost one of yellow ones today. I contacted him about the color problem and he said he's never had any problems with the ones he hatched out or no complains from anyone else, he said maybe the air travel did something to them mutated them some how, lol just sounds crazy to me. He did say that the only color variations he's ever seen was a couple that hatched out almost white but that darkened as they got older. I think someone doesn't want to admit that maybe his flock was compromised somehow.lol God know it happens from time to time.he did offer to refund everything but the shipping cost. I was thinking I might have him send me another batch instead but not sure yet afraid I might get similar results.

Last edited:
They just hatched out the day after Thanksgiving just lost one of yellow ones today. I contacted him about the color problem and he said he's never had any problems with the ones he hatched out or no complains from anyone else, he said maybe the air travel did something to them mutated them some how, lol just sounds crazy to me. He did say that the only color variations he's ever seen was a couple that hatched out almost white but that darkened as they got older. I think someone doesn't want to admit that maybe his flock was compromised somehow.lol God know it happens from time to time.he did offer to refund everything but the shipping cost. I was thinking I might have him send me another batch instead but not sure yet afraid I might get similar results.
IF you would have read the other lav Orp thread you would see they are either a mottle or just a light varieation or possibly a recessive white. There will always be genetic recessive genes in almost everyones flock and these oddities do pop up. Sometimes another rooster will jump the fence but what you are describing sounds like a mutation.
Forgot to say these are only project birds and are not an accepted APA breed varieation at this stage. The only true Lavender Orpingtons are the ones imported from the UK and they do not meet APA standards but do meet the UK standards. You can see them on the website of Heirloom Orpingtons don't know if anyone else imported any from the UK at this time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't Queston it being a mutation but the black chick is much smaller than the lavender and the white one, head is also much smaller and rounder it does not look like its even a Orpington at lest the yellow chick looks like my other buff Orpington as chicks

Sorry,
Didn't see the black chick mentioned earlier or if I did assumed it was a split. May still be a Orpington split from a black hen but there can always be a size variation in any ones flock. You will not get 100% quality birds on any hatch except possibly from a closed flock that was line bred from many decades and then there is still the variable for recessive genes to pop out.

Last edited:
This is my new girl
wee.gif

I know she's not a Lavender, but Mauve which I thought might be of interest.
She's 14 weeks old and just getting in her big girl feathers :)

Back
Top Bottom